Thursday, July 25, 2013

2004 Topps Retired auto goal update


These days, my active baseball card collecting is focused squarely on 2004 Topps Retired Signature Edition, a relatively obscure "old timers" set I didn't even know about till a few months ago. In past posts, I've opined what draws me to the set, and well as shared cautionary tales about spending a lot on premium packs.

For better or worse, I'm pretty much "the 2004 Topps Retired guy" at this point. In fact, I found out the other day that if you Google "2004 Topps Retired" right now, my young blog here shows up in the top 10 search results.

But yeah, I feel like I'm in too deep to pull out now. Since my last post on the subject, I've crossed the 50% threshold on my financially-irresponsible collecting goal of owning every certified autograph card from the set.

In the past month or so, I've ponied up for a (faded signature) Yaz and a (faded signature) refractor Yogi, in addition to a few other lower-tier guys I needed. And sure, I'd prefer vibrant blue signatures over faded black ones, but hey, if it knocks the price down a bit, I'm ok with it. I'm stoked to have the autograph of these 2 legends, even if not as visually impressive as they should rightfully be.


That gives me 43 down, with 33 still to go. (and no, I am not going after the ugly Willie Mays co-signers. Screw that! ..Though, if you've got one to part with, feel free to let me know. lol)

Here's where I'm at (as of 7/25/2013):

2004 Topps Retired Signature Edition

Red = Need it
Green = Got it
Orange = I got 2 of it (my orange for your red trade offers welcomed!)

Group A: Cal Ripken; Nolan Ryan; Carl Yastrzemski; Robin Yount;
Group B: Hank Aaron; Ernie Banks; Stan Musial; Duke Snider
Group C: Johnny Bench; Yogi Berra; Whitey Ford; Bob Gibson; Dwight Gooden; Tony Gwynn; Don Mattingly; Brooks Robinson; Mike Schmidt; Tom Seaver; Ozzie Smith
Group D: Wade Boggs; John Candelaria; Jose Canseco; Gary Carter; Carlton Fisk; Ralph Kiner; Paul Molitor; Paul O'Neill; Frank Robinson; Ryne Sandberg; Darryl Strawberry; Don Zimmer;
Group E: Buddy Bell; Rod Carew; Bucky Dent; Rob Dibble; Dennis Eckersley; Tony Fernandez; Rollie Fingers; George Foster; Ceasar Geronimo; Kirk Gibson; Goose Gossage; Orel HershiserAl Hrabosky; Greg Luzinski; Tony Oliva; Dave Parker; Jimmy Piersall; Alan Trammell;
Group F: Davey Lopes;
Group G: Tony Armas; Vida Blue; Tom Brunansky; Bill Buckner; Orlando Cepeda; Darren Daulton; Darrell Evans; Bobby GrichFerguson Jenkins; Wally Joyner; Jimmy Key; Ron Kittle; Bill Madlock; Jack McDowell; Dale Murphy; Graig Nettles; Al Oliver; Bobby Richardson; Ron Santo; Dave Stieb; Bruce Sutter; Ron Swoboda; Luis Tiant; Earl Weaver; Maury Wills;
Group H: Elroy Face
need it!
If you've got any I still need and would likely be down for a trade or sale, please let me know. I feel like I've spent way too much money on this set lately, so I'm gonna try to chill out and only go after "good deals" for a while. More patience and less "I must complete this set NOW!!"

I'm also (less-obsessively) trying to obtain the (non-auto) base set.
Here's what I still need: (again, trade help would be great)

1 Willie Mays 
2 Tony Gwynn
3 Dale Murphy
4 Lenny Dykstra 
5 Johnny Bench 
7 Ferguson Jenkins 
9 Ralph Kiner 
10 Ernie Banks 
12 Lou Brock 
13 Keith Hernandez 
14 Jose Canseco 
15 Whitey Ford 
16 Dave Kingman 
17 Tim Raines 
18 Paul O'Neill 
19 Lou Whitaker 
20 Mike Schmidt 
22 Kirk Gibson 
23 Ryne Sandberg 
24 Luis Tiant 
25 Al Kaline 
27 Don Zimmer 
29 Maury Wills 
31 Garry Maddox 
32 Tom Brunansky 
33 Don Mattingly 
34 Earl Weaver 
35 Bobby Grich 
36 Orlando Cepeda 
37 Alan Trammell 
39 Dave Lopes 
40 Rod Carew 
42 Dwight Gooden 
43 Andre Dawson 
44 Hank Aaron 
46 Reggie Jackson 
48 Carlton Fisk 
49 Dave Parker 
50 Cal Ripken 
51 Roy Face 
56 Tom Seaver 
57 Tony Armas 
58 Dave Stieb 
59 Will Clark 
60 Duke Snider 
61 Cesar Geronimo 
62 Ron Kittle 
63 Ron Santo 
64 Mickey Rivers 
65 Jim Piersall 
67 Kent Hrbek 
69 Greg Luzinski 
70 Harmon Killebrew 
71 Ron Guidry 
72 Steve Garvey 
73 Andy Van Slyke
74 Goose Gossage 
75 Ozzie Smith 
76 Richie Allen 
77 Vida Blue 
78 Tony Oliva 
79 Darryl Strawberry 
80 Frank Robinson 
81 Bruce Sutter 
82 Dave Concepcion 
83 Darrell Evans 
85 Bo Jackson 
87 Rob Dibble 
88 Wade Boggs 
92 Mike Scott 
93 Paul Molitor 
95 Bobby Richardson 
96 Rollie Fingers
97 Tim McCarver 
98 John Candelaria
99 Dave Winfield 
101 Bill Madlock 
102 Jack McDowell 
103 Luis Aparicio 
105 Dave Stewart 
106 Darren Daulton 
107 Gary Gaetti 
109 Buddy Bell

And I'm also much less obsessively collecting the 2003 Topps Retired set/autos as well (I've currently got 10 autos and 0 base cards).

I suppose this post is essentially my updated want list (see also the link on the right). As a new kid on the baseball card blog block, not to mention one with a narrow want list (I'm not really a team collector or a set collector), trading partners are hard to come by. I mean, I started this blog because I like writing/reading about baseball cards, not necessarily as a means to grow my collection, but it would be cool to swing some trades at some point, too.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotta track down an Eck for my PC. Good luck on your set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. I've actually got an extra Eck, but it's part of a framed display (that I'll be posting about soon).

    ReplyDelete