Thursday, October 20, 2016

Dumb boxes

With this post, we'll wrap up my recent splurge on boxes from Dave & Adam's.

My cart was a bit short of qualifying for free shipping, so I threw in something else interesting to bump me over the threshold:


Hit Parade seems to be a card outfit that throws together higher-end and/or vintage repacks. This ran me the price of like 1.7 blasters. I figured I'd get a several various cool cards from the decade of the 60s. I should have probably read up on it more before adding it to my cart, though, because it sucked.


Here's what you get when you open up the box. It's a team bag with a few loose cards in it.


And there's the entirety of the cards. Eight commons from 1960 Topps. I could have plucked these from the 25¢ or 50¢ boxes from the vintage guy at the monthly card show. What a disappointment. The biggest name here is probably (the original) Frank Thomas, which also happens to be the worst-conditioned card. The only card that interests me at all is the Dodgers celebration card because it's bizarre and funny and has beer.

So yeah, this was the first Hit Parade repack I've bought and will likely be the last. You suck, Hit Parade. (More like Shit Parade, am I right?!) Not that I was expecting Willie Mays or anything (which I could have gotten for the price of this box, graded 3.5), but damn. Give me some value.

Anybody working on the 1960 Topps set? I definitely don't have plans to ever do so, so these are available for trade. (Update: Joe Morgan and Frank Thomas are no longer available.)


For my "free gift" I went with a 2014/15 Panini Prestige Basketball hanger box. I barely collect basketball cards at all, but it was the most interesting to me of the limited options.


Sorry the names are hard to read. Klay Thompson is the only guy who rings a bell with me here.


And a couple inserts. The Kyle Anderson clear card is kinda cool, though I don't know him. And everybody knows Dwyane Wade, so that's cool. But yeah, no hits for me in the basketball box.

All these are available for trade.


So that's it. This whole order was kind of a bust, for the most part. Really only the sweet Bo Jackson 5/5 Archives Signature autograph salvaged it. And the 2014 Prizm Draft box was ok, I guess. Otherwise, my boxes were underwhelming and overpriced.

It's hard to fault collectors who don't open packs and instead focus their dollars on specific cards they want on the secondary market. But dang it, it's fun to bust boxes! I suppose it's not that far removed from a gambling addiction, but as long as you don't go nuts...

10 comments:

  1. Hit Parade IS Dave & Adams. I've had very good luck with them on the NASCAR and NBA fields. The ones they do where you are guaranteed to get autographs and relics don't disappoint. I've done a few reviews of them in the past. I know they have a vintage NBA one but I've never purchased it because I have most of the 70s cards already- it wouldn't be worth it to me, as 99% would be duplicates.

    If you can't find somebody to trade it to I'd be more than happy to give the Kyle Anderson a home. Prestige was a Target exclusive that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll set it aside for you, Billy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm going to have to start collecting baseball just so I can have something to trade, lol!

      Delete
  2. I got burned by Dave and Adam's Hit Parade last year. I bought a baseball and a basketball and came away with a stack of cards that would have cost me a fraction of the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well glad to know it wasn't just me getting skunked. Live and learn, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. I got burned by Dave and Adam's Hit Parade last year. I bought a baseball and a basketball and came away with a stack of cards that would have cost me a fraction of the price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the Hit Parades, not anymore. Will still away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there very well be good boxes of the stuff out there, but I doubt I'll try my luck again.

      Delete
  5. I'd love the Joe Morgan. Former manager of the Sox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Mark.. I'll set it aside for you.

      Delete