Friday, March 23, 2018

Cardblogger Con NW '18 recap

Five card-bloggers getting together for drinks and conversation. Really good time! Gcrl (Cards As I See Them), Rod (Padrographs), Kerry (Cards on Cards), Ken (Cardboard Hogs), and myself (Baseball Card Breakdown). If you know of more cardbloggers getting together at once, let me know, but otherwise I'll consider this the record-breaker for most cardbloggers hanging out in person. Lots of fun, swapping cards and sharing stories.


I don't have much time for blogging today (and I'm a little hungover), so I'll just cover the cards I got from Ken now, and get to the others soon.

Ken was a late invite, which I feel bad about, but I know he's got his hands full these days with work and his kids, and hasn't blogged much in the past year, so I didn't think the chances were good that'd he'd be able to make it into downtown for the meetup. But I'm glad I thought to invite him better late than never, and that it worked with his schedule, because he's a good dude and definitely a welcome addition to the group.


Kicking things off with neat inserts and parallels of young Padres. Sounds like Renfroe might be on the trading block.


Pair of Margots. Hoping for a big '18 season from him.


Some San Diego favorites from the past. Rollie gets in on consecutive posts, featured here on a Berger's Best reprint.


Nice batch of Bowman prospects.


Full team set of 2005 Portland Beavers! Love the mascot card. I kind of regret not catching any Beavers games before they went away a few years ago. (Today happens to be my 9 year anniversary of moving to Portland.)


And a few more Padres (and USA Drew Pomeranz).

Good stuff.. thanks, Ken. Great seeing you. Sorry I was out of Redskins and had to resort to a custom-heavy lot hitting some of your PC guys, but hope you got a kick out of them.

And thanks again to the other fellas who came out to the get-together. I hope we can do it again sometime. Looking forward this weekend to going through the rest of the cards I brought home thanks to you guys.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. That's so cool. Wish there was something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if Billy is going on his usual Lake George summer tour, I could probably get down for that.

      Delete
  2. That was a good time! Thanks for meeting up and gathering the other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool. I would be happy to meet one haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a fantastic time and it was great getting to meet everyone and put a face to the blog. we should definitely try to do that again sometime later this year.

    thanks again for the invite Gavin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ken i need your address. gcrlATcomcastDOTnet

      thanks again for coming out - it was great to meet you!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a good time. It would be awesome to attend a convention that is purely card blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was super fun and great to meet everyone I hadn't met before! I feel bad that I had to be the first to leave, but I was glad that it worked out that I could be there for as long as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super jealous. Swapping cards and stories sounds awesome. I've only hung out with one other blogger, but I hope to one day hang out with the Portland Crew on one of my trips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was cool meeting one blogger. It took many tries to even get together with him, I can only imagine the planning to get so many of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just Dimebox Nick, Jenga Tony and myself to represent for the Chicago area, though I know of a couple non bloggers that could join up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! I'm just down the highway... don't forget about me! And there's Mike (WaxPackHero) who's in my neck of the woods.

      Sounds like a great time, Gavin. Super envious!

      Delete
    2. I am also 3-ish hours downstate, and I've been wanting to get up to Chicago for various festivities forever, basically.

      Delete
  10. That’s a cool get together. Shane from Shoebox and Matt from BWTP and myself hooked up one night. Had a few meet ups at shows with 4or 5 guys.

    ReplyDelete