Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Drunk on Cardboard

I know I said I wasn't going to be posting much for the next few weeks. And you guys are probably thinking, "How can we miss you if you don't go away?" But it would be rude of me not to acknowledge incoming mail from the cardsphere.

First up is a contest win (?) from Johnny's Trading Spot. I don't know exactly what happened, but he posted asking me and AJ to pick between blue and green, then a week or so later I received a PWE from him.


Yes! I'm pulling away from the pack for the title of #1 Luis Torrens collector! This 2013 Panini Elite Extra Edition - Status Emerald #'d 04/25 gives me an "insurance run" over the collector with the 2nd most Torrenses.


Nice.. Glow Stars are always appreciated regardless if I already have them. The same cannot be said for Gavin Floyd cards, but I'm John's designated Gavin depository, like it or not. LOL. And I'm not sure if those Celebrity Predictions cards were intended for a particular avenue of my collection (if so, help me out, John.. I'm at a loss) or were just some randomness to spice up the envelope.

Regardless.. Thank you, John!

-  -  --o


Next up is friend of the blog Larry P. coming through with a hefty stack of 1992 Leaf Black Gold for my setbuild. Love these! This lot takes me from about a quarter complete way up to nearly scratching at the halfway point now. Thanks, Larry!

-   -   - -  --o

Last one for today is a terrific surprise package from Brian over at Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary. I included him in my small holiday mailblast back in December, sending over a few decent Twins cards I had accumulated for him over the prior months. He hit me back with a vengeance.


Speaking of the holidays... These ornament cards are fun, and it's always nice to add a new Gwynn to the PC.


1964 Topps needs! I've been slacking on this setbuild the past year or two, so it's very appreciated when a trade buddy can help breath life into the quest with a few needs. Highlighted by the Batting Leaders card featuring Yaz and Kaline, this lot brings me to 73.68% complete, with 155 cards remaining.


Wow, a trio of early Gavin Cecchini autos! The former Mets first-rounder is currently in camp with the Diamondbacks on a minor league deal. I hope he's able to regain his form and make it up to Chase Field this season.


The festive Trout is nice, and I'm pretty sure that's my first certified auto of Chase Headley. Pretty cool.


A couple impressive José Ramírez cards! Hoping he bounces back to have an all-star 2020.

Ok, it's now last call. Let's close things out with a strong Beer...


Boom!! Christmas Card autograph of a current top prospect! That's what I'm talking about!

The Astros chose to draft Beer in the 1st round (28th overall) in 2018. Next thing you know, Seth hops over to the Diamondbacks org last summer, part of the package bringing Zack Greinke to Houston. The 23-year old chugged his way to a robust .897 OPS in the minors so far in his professional career and is ranked as Arizona's #4 prospect at the moment. I'll drink to that!


This is my first Bowman Next AFL card. I'm not sure how these things were distributed, but I assume it's an "online exclusive" type of deal (Looks reminiscent of Topps Now). As you can see, it's encased.. and no, I don't plan to crack open this Beer anytime soon. (I might need to PC this guy for the beer puns alone!)

Awesome stuff. Big thanks, Brian! I'll have to hit you back with a few more cards soon to try balancing the scales.

13 comments:

  1. Hmm, I may have to give our good friend P-Town Tom a boost. If anyone deserves the number one spot it's him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would destroy me emotionally!

      Delete
    2. Yes, but but that's where your comeback would begin (fueled by an anonymous benefactor).

      Delete
  2. You. Zippy. Now P-Town. Never realized there was such a following for Torrens.

    P.S. That Jose Ramirez is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, Yeah. I've bought a number of LT cards, but none of them stayed in my collection... at least initially. LOL

      Delete
  3. I am really jealous of the 1992 Leaf Black Gold. I had a nice stack of those as a kid. My friends and I chased them pretty hard back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beer was the bonus sign for the online team set for the Salt River Rafters. The roster was a mix of Twins and DBacks. When I saw 12/25, I knew exactly where I should send it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the blue one! And just to let you know I haven't added my Torrens cards to TCDB yet...and I have more than 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, all dynasties must eventually come to an end, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. Astros chose draft beer ... aHA! They were drinking too! What? Oh, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no Celebrity predictor ripped in half...my hobby OCD>...

    ReplyDelete