Thursday, May 13, 2021

Shiny cards in various sizes

More highlights from my big COMCOVID shipment.

After getting shut out for comments in my previous post, I'd better bring out the big guns.


Well, a big card and a tiny card. One shiny, one shiny and also sparkly. Two greats of the game.

At $14.99, the SuperVlad refractor was my priciest pickup of the order. I don't consider it an addition to my card collection as much as an addition to my fine art collection.


It's going up on the wall where it will serve as a motivational poster. "Fully extend for your dreams."



Here's a closer look at the sparkly micro Kirby along with his proud papa. 

The oversized bat further confounds the image and is really messing with my sense of scale! Somehow tiny Kirby is even tinier and regular Kirby is ginormous.

A few different micro cards of stars were created as prism parallels and included as a bonus with the 1993 micro factory set. At least that's my understanding of the proto-Atomic Refractor/Cracked Ice little fella's origins. Does that make it the very first sparkly parallel? I know there were sparkly baseball stickers in the late 80s; not sure if they count. But anyways, yeah, I found out about these cool things and had to pick up one for myself. Cost me a buck.



I picked up a few needs from my foolish quest of a black refractor parallel set of 2004 Topps Chrome. Three commons for around a buck each, and then splurged on Mad Dog for $10.25. Nice to cross another big'un off my wants-- 223 cards left to go-- plus he's a PC guy for me, so I can appreciate it on that level too.



Mr. Elroy Face was the lone pickup in this shipment for my ARMS (Archives Reserve Master Set). A gracious man when it comes to his signature, this card cost me what shipping alone would have cost me on eBay. Man, I sure hope COMC eventually returns to being a convenient place to purchase-and-then-soon-receive cards for decent prices. Anyways, just 136 cards left to go until I have a full master set of Topps Archives Reserve cards.

See ya next time

8 comments:

  1. Wow, the Vlad and Puckett are awesome. Funny how long Topps has had the "diamond sparkle" printing technology (or whatever it might be called). Has always looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Vladimir is sweet... and I'm always jealous of your super cool set builds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all sweet cards. Especially the vlad, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about those early shiny minis - that Puckett looks great. Your comment reminded me of the foil stickers that were in the Panini stickerbooks in the late 80s, not supershiny but cool nonetheless. Topps had some foil ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Vlad looks so much better than the base design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vlad deserves framing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vlad needs a better frame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vlad is worser than any but better than me.

    ReplyDelete