Sunday, August 11, 2024

Some photographs I've been meaning to post

I've given the reusable grocery bag full of cards from Rod a first pass, but still have another round or two of sorting before I snap pics of some highlights (lots of good stuff!), but in the meantime, here's a post of photos from the past couple months or so.

I know it's been a long time since Rod last dropped off cards on me.. because back in May he asked if I was going to be around one weekend to receive some cards, but sadly that was the weekend I was out at the coast for a family getaway. And it wasn't until just recently that Rod was finally able to swing by again, and so it was a glorious card-show-comes-to-me type extravaganza several months in the making. But anyways, back in May, I was a little upset with myself that I forgot to take my customary beach photo of my wallet card being dipped into the Pacific Ocean, but at least I grabbed this shot with the water in the background as we were starting the drive home.

Now here's some cute wildlife photography, mostly bunnies and my dog..









This bird spent a few minutes in my Mark Fidrych Memorial Bird Feeder recently, and seemed to really be giving a thoughtful look to the faded '77 Fidrych rookie that graces the feeder, and I had to try grabbing a photo.



I wore my Card Belt the other day, not to brag. :) They're all the rage, with a player wearing one during All-Star Game festivities or something. (Thanks again, Bob!)


The annual free concert in our neighborhood park was a good one this year, with local cover band Covered Structure performing for a solid turnout. I only caught a few songs during a dog walk, but they sounded great. Highlights included "elderly woman behind the counter in a small town" by Pearl Jam and the Fleetwood Mac favorite "Dreams".


Our neighbors across from our backyard aren't coming back, and so an estate sale was held at their house. I didn't go the first 2 days, but I stopped in on the last day. The final-day deal was $20 for whatever you could fit into a paper grocery bag. I got a nice bag full of stuff I can use. No cards/sports stuff, but some crafty stuff that I have cardart plans for. Also some other household stuff and yard stuff and a hanging shelf thing. I grabbed some tea and kitchen stuff, too, along with snapping this above pic. It was cool to see the inside of a house I see the outside of everyday (and to see my house from a new perspective). What's odd is we rarely saw the elderly couple who lived there. They seemed nice enough the rare times we noticed them about, but it must've been a seldom-used second home for them or something. I gotta admit it was nice having a mostly-empty neighboring house. Hopefully whoever moves in there next is cool and quiet. 

Speaking of old people dying, let's squeeze in at least one card photo before ending the post. Sad about Bob Newhart passing, but like I said recently about Willie Mays, I think he got the most out of life that one can get. Score the man a 10/10 in life fullness, right? A few years back (back at the old house) I was hankering a certified autograph of Bob the comedy legend, and ended up settling for this reasonably priced check cut-auto from Leaf with the intention of making a custom overlay for it, though I haven't gotten around to that yet, so here it is with a sparkly background to help it out instead for now. RIP, Mr. Newhart.

Welp, back to sorting the cards from Rod. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. A. Very cool photo of that bird visiting The Bird.

    B. Dreams is a great song. I listen to Fleetwood Mac at least a couple of times a month.

    C. Up until middle school, I'd watch Newhart with my parents. Wasn't a favorite, but it was a solid show. Didn't follow his health or anything... but if he was reasonably healthy those 94 years, then I'd say that's a pretty solid life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoyed Bob Newhart. Used to like the old reruns of the Bob Newhart Show (never did catch Newhart). I never knew his name was George. I guess he belongs mention in the category of other famous Georges like Babe Ruth, Ken Griffey and Tom Seaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have rabbits that torment my dog, although he's never gotten close to catching one. He wouldn't know what to do with it if he did.

    Really cool Newhart autograph! Had no idea his name was George...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town" in ages. Well, thanks to your post, I'm listening now. Great song. Eddie Vedder is very unusual in rock as a male performer who can write songs from a female perspective. (Paul McCartney is good at it, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Animal pictures are always welcome! I've had a rabbit frequenting my yard a lot lately and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got bunnies galore here -- including one very preggers female whose been spending most of her recent nights eating in the front yard.

    ReplyDelete