Thursday, October 8, 2026

cardart check-in, fall '26

Welp, yet another Padres season ends without tasting that sweetest victory. Sure would love to see my favorite team win the World Series within my lifetime. Just once is fine, damn it! I mean, we all gotta go sometime and I ain't getting any younger. (RIP hiflew) Maybe next year, I guess...

My CardArt activities have cooled with the changing season as I've spent more time on TCDb of late-- Really my goal is generating trips to the post office (dog walks), be it eBay sales or TCDb trades. But yeah, I figured I'd show off some of the stuff I've whipped up since last time.


My latest thing is having fun with Billy Ripken's 1988 Topps card. Just made this pair of partially-vulgar 1/1s today.

Nolan Ryan has lots of great, cheap cards to tweak.


Hey, are you ready for some football?

A full page of Barry Sanders.

That last one is a glowfractor. Yes, Chris, we finally did it!


I've long dreamt of a card that could both refract light and glow in the dark, so this is a special one for me. Hopefully that video loads ok and lets you see it in action.

Now prepare your mind for 1991 Donruss like you've never seen it before. (Do it! Prepare your mind! For your own well-being!)

.

.

.

.



Can you imagine Donruss packing out case-hit parallels like that in their '91 boxes? They would have left Topps and Upper Deck in the dust and probably ended up with the monopoly today. ha
But yeah, it's fun taking '91 Donruss out of its familiar colorings to kinda get a new look at an old card.


A break from the overproduction era here with a modern Heritage league leaders card that I cropt into a mini. Last week I sent a couple similar little guys to Night Owl, so hopefully this isn't spoiling the surprise. In my note I stressed he didn't need to send me anything back or feature the mailing on his blog since it was just a PWE of '87 Fleer commons for his low-priority setbuild, and a couple stray cardart Dodgers I had sitting around for him plus a couple Kershaws minis made shortly before the above, but nothing all that cool or interesting to blog about. Still though, fun minis, right?


I did a lot of messing with '89 Topps All-Star cards over the late summer.


I know 1989 Topps is as junky as junk gets, but that makes for iconic, cheap cards to creatively modify as transformative art or whatever.

I made a handful of sales over the summer, but everything in this post is still in-hand as of publishing. One of the Barry Sanders cards is already on eBay with a few watchers, maybe a Nolan also, and I'll likely list other cards in this post for sale soon/eventually/again, though I prefer to trade for cards, so per usual, feel free to reach out inquiring about anything in this post, or even to discuss commissioned stuff I could make of your favorite player along these lines. I've been thinking about soliciting my CardArt on the TCDb forums one of these days, maybe finding a couple bored player collectors looking to kick up their stagnant PCs with something different.


Basketball gets worked in thanks to Shaq here. Precious Metal Gems might be financially out of reach, but these are nearly as cool for a fraction of the price! I've got history with this 1994-95 Collector's Choice card, scoring a (buyback?) autograph way back in my days of getting cards on Listia. (I would link to the post where I showed it off, but it's a sad one because Tom Petty had just died.) So when I was hunting for an inexpensive Shaq card to whip up some homemade parallels of, the Collector's Choice was in fact this collector's choice.

That's probably enough for today. I know it's not my birthday or anything, but if you wanna maybe warm the heart of this depressed baseball fan, by all means please consider yourself invited to leave a nice comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment