Sunday, March 30, 2014

Check out my cutting-edge new card-sorting table

My work was tossing this weird table-thing Friday and it was out on the curb after work right next to where I parked. After a solid minute debating the benefits of taking it home verses the shit my girl would give me for bringing more crap into the house, I gave in and threw it in the back on my vehicle. (I'm pretty notorious for bringing home stuff I've found on the sidewalk. Lots of shelves. Clothes. Kitchen stuff. You name it.)


I wasn't exactly sure what I'd do with it, but thought I might find a place for in in the "recording studio" area of the house. But then I had the idea to put it in the "study" (my carding room-- well, my fiancée isn't completely surrendering the entire room to me since I've already got a lot of space for myself in the basement, so I've gotta be willing to share at least some of the room) and use it as a sorely-needed card-sorting table. The fact that it has a grated top actually comes in really handy for picking up stacks of cards anywhere on the table. Especially for a guy like me with little-to-no fingernails (If nail-biting were an olympic event, I'd bring home the gold, time and time again) it can sometimes be tricky picking up stacks of cards in the middle of the surface. The grates make picking up cards a breeze. Now I gotta get serious about sorting my collection. Recently buying a $12 card that I already had (forgotten about) really underscored the need for me to get better about organization.

I've also got my trade stacks nice and organized by team (for the most part) with handy labels. I'm gonna try to thin out some of the more-plentiful teams, so be on the lookout for some Trade Bait posts from me coming soon.


If you want to "beat the rush" to your team's cards, hurry up and check out my wantlist and get in touch about a trade.

DRAMATIC UPDATE: My fiancée objected to the table, saying it looked too junky. It was looking bleak there for a moment. But, ever ingenious as I am, I gave it a classy makeover with a tablecloth and candles. It won her over ("Ok, I can tolerate that.") Crisis averted! Here's how my carding station is looking at the moment:


Have a great week everybody. Play ball!

10 comments:

  1. I would have thought the previous post was more likely to create a relationship crisis!

    BTW, I would give you some SERIOUS competition in the Olympic nail-biting event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nail-biters unite!

      Ha, lucky for me my lady is accepting of my Christina Hendricks fascination.

      Delete
  2. The candles were a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And in case of a power outage, I can kill time looking at my cards by candlelight.

      Delete
  3. I have that sorting table next to my desk. My wife is quiet about it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original version of the sorting table would have been an exercise in frustration for me, because I would endlessly be having cards slide through the slots. Likely to the point where I would have thrown the table out.

    Still, it's free, and free is always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought the grates might be annoying, which is why it wasn't my first thought to use it to put cards on. But it did well on a little test run. I think the tablecloth will really work out well, not just helping it look better, but also prevent cards slipping through the slots, yet still have enough "give" for easily picking up cards.

      Delete
  5. Count me in regarding the disgusting nail biting habit. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just jealous of your space! Nice.

    ReplyDelete