Saturday, August 17, 2019

temporarily owning a Ted Williams autograph


Welp, it was fun while it lasted. I got a raise last week (and it was retroactive back several weeks, meaning a fat paycheck catching up) and I wanted to celebrate with picking up a big card. After poking around a few options, I decided to pull the trigger on this Ted Williams put out by Upper Deck in 1994. It's one of his few certified auto cards out there. He also has that signed checklist card in 1992 UD, but as I've mentioned in the past, I'm not really into art cards, plus that one is more expensive for some reason. So I went with this one featuring real photos.

But yeah, when it arrived, my eye was drawn to an indentation by Ted's cheek that I just couldn't get over. From the photo in the listing, I assumed it was a piece of dust or just a stray mark on the case or something. But in hand, nope, it's definitely a mark on the card itself. Like someone had put a piece of paper on the card and dotted an "i" with a strong point. Bummer!

If I had gotten a killer deal on it, I may have sucked it up and kept it. But no, it wasn't a killer deal. And the seller offered free returns, so I didn't have to fight about it. Just painlessly send it back thru eBay. Didn't even need to pay for return shipping.


Farewell, Ted. Perhaps I'll snag another one of these someday, but now I'm not in a rush and will likely put some time between it rather than try finding another one right away.

I've got a couple other ideas I'm thinking about as a celebratory pickup. Stay tuned.

10 comments:

  1. Bummer. That is a lot of cards for him to sign so hopefully there is another one out there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a better player than Babe Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good news is that there's still 2,499 other copies out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the seller will re-list it at half the cost, lol. JK, That's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the raise! Sorry to hear about your Teddy. At least you guy some money burning a hole in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the raise, hopefully the next one will be good. I recently had to do this with an Elway auto that was spotted as a fake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the raise! That's always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh that hurts, but if you can't enjoy it and think about that every time you look at it, then not worth keeping it. Good call. And congrats on the raise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the raise! You'll find another copy of that card eventually. Or maybe something even better, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shame about the card, but congrats on the raise

    ReplyDelete