Monday, January 25, 2016

Custom TTM Success: Alan Young (Scrooge McDuck)!


Did you know that the voice of Scrooge McDuck was also the human from the old TV show Mr. Ed? Neither did I until a couple weeks ago when Daniel Wilson posted a TTM success he got from Alan Young. I was so impressed that I immediately whipped up a custom to send to Mr. Young. 1983 Topps is my go-to design when I want to use 2 different pictures, and I think this one turned out wonderfully. Just a week or so later, the return showed up inked and I was a happy boy!


DuckTales played a big part of my childhood in the late 80s. In between my obsession with G.I. Joe (mid 80s) and baseball cards (1990-1993), DuckTales might have been the #1 thing I was into. I spent a lot of time back then watching the cartoon and playing the Nintendo game. And Mickey's Christmas Carol might be my all-time favorite Christmas special (or at least neck-and-neck with A Charlie Brown Christmas). So you can see how getting the autograph of the main voice behind these projects would be a big deal for me.


Alan Young is 96 years old, so between him and Bobby Doerr, my previous TTM success, I've definitely been hitting some top near-centenarian celebrities known for being gracious about signing. I can't stress enough how happy I am with the return and how appreciative I am that Mr. Young took a moment out of his day to sign for me. He also kindly signed a couple other cards personalized to me and my wife, who also loves him.


Thank you so much, Mr. Young!

12 comments:

  1. I have to say that custom is pretty kick ass! Have you tried Betty White? I have my doubts she actually signs her requests seems for a 94 year old the signature is really smooth, but who knows. When I started doing non sport TTM I really tried to hit the older stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CB! And yep, spoiler alert, I have recently sent a request to Betty White. I'm hoping it shows up soon.

      Delete
  2. Very cool... I loved those old cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those came out nicely. I will admit that I used to watch Ducktails with my nieces and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking cards. I as you know watched those growing up as well and Mr. Ed with my grandmother. Mr. Young was kindly enough to return my autograph request as well but mines not some cool custom cards as you made as I mailed a black and white photo I printed. But will remain a great part of my collection still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched a lot of Ducktails during that time. Congrats on an awesome return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do a great "voice" impersonation of Mr. Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your customs are really getting good, and it's very cool you're using them for TTM. Very unique and a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Betty White! Your ducks all in a row are too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the custom! Looks great signed!

    ReplyDelete