Sunday, January 31, 2016

Supervintage Sundays: daydreaming about summertime

I think this post will finish off the old cards in my COMC order from last month.

1922 Wills Do You Know #9 The Blue Sky
Such a beautiful card! I could just stare at it all day, giving my mind a respite from this wet, grey winter. My wife and I recently booked our Hawaiian vacation coming up this summer, and it can't come soon enough. This card from 1922 set me back a buck.


-   - - - -------

1910 Murad Cigarettes College Series T51 #107 Greer College
This card from 1910 is right up there for the title of oldest card in my collection along with the couple T206 cards I've got. I don't think Greer College is around anymore; it's apparently now Greer Grade School. The card is a bit beat up, but it was just 48¢. Pretty good deal for a 106 year old card, I'd say!



-   - - - -------

1924 Cavanders The Homeland Series Hand-Coloured #43 Looking Across Ullswater
Here's another pretty one that caught my eye, similar to the first card in the post in that it depicts a serene image of water and sky. Also like the Blue Sky card, it cost me $1. Ullswater is a big lake in England. Poet William Wordsworth was inspired to write about it, and is quoted on the back.


Good stuff.
This trio makes for a nice addition to my modest little collection of pre-WWII cardboard.

9 comments:

  1. From a college to a grade school, huh? That's quite the demotion. Maybe they should try that as punishment for basketball recruiting violations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the old cardboard! love Hawaii more though! I hope to go one day. Come on Summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three are great cards, nice pickin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digging those sky and lake cards myself. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Heading to Hawaii on Friday. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of you and Mr. Hoyle. Hawaii is easily my favorite place on the planet. Which island are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it'll be my 3rd time there. Always a good time. We're spending 3 nights Maui then 3 nights in Kauai.

      Delete
    2. Nice. Kauai is my personal favorite (well... at least in terms of scenery and overall relaxation). However... when it comes to food and family... I need at least a few days on Oahu.

      Delete
  7. I'm always looking for old cards that feature WVU. That Greer card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete