Tuesday, September 6, 2016

COMC and me


While Paul Goldschmidt is technically off my wantlist now, I've got a weakness for his cards and for Bowman Chrome refractors, so it's no surprise I broke down and threw a couple numbered parallels into my latest COMC order.


With COMC upping their flat shipping rate to $3.99, I feel like I need to be a little more strategic with when I ship out cards I've bought, and so some of these have been sitting in my inventory for a while. This pair of #'d Drew Pomeranz cards were picked up back when he was still the Padres' ace, before they sent him to Boston in the middle of July for 18 year-old pitching prospect Anderson Espenosa who, while highly touted, still has a long way to go. Drew hasn't exactly kept his All-Star caliber numbers going with the Sox, but he pitched a strong game yesterday in his return to Petco, finding himself on the losing side of a 2-1 ballgame.


Here's a card I bought in that narrow window of time between the Padres trading Matt Kemp to Atlanta for Hector Olivera, and before they released Olivera, just eating the rest of his contract. I figured they'd be desperate enough to give the a-hole a shot at sticking around, but nope. Oh well, it was only a couple bucks. Know what really appealed to me about this card? Red ink auto! I'm kinda sick of blue and black at this point, so give me a red or green (etc) signature, and you've got my attention.


I love Dave Winfield and I love Archives Reserve, so picking up this bat relic for cheap was an easy buy.


Snagged a Mookie Betts framed parallel #/99. He's having a great year.


Er.. ok, now this one wasn't bought on COMC. Jeff at 2x3 Heroes is doing a contest where you have to make a custom card of yourself from your childhood ballplaying days. And dang it, 1st prize is a sweet bunch of cards I'd love to win, so I brought my A-game. While I sadly never played organized ball-- not even T-Ball or Little League-- I had a couple old photos of awkward-aged brace-face me holding a bat. I went big with the 1956 Topps design, because everybody seems to love it but it's tough to customize. Once the poll is live, I'll bug ya'll to vote for me.

[Update: I've since removed the picture of the card since it included my name and signature, making me a little nervous of baddies that might come across it. But I think it was a passable replica!]

So there are some random cards that've made their way into my collection recently. Thanks for checking them out!

6 comments:

  1. Ha, love the Gavin card. Very kool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great custom! Also love those bubbles refractors, can't get enough of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMN!!! I could have told you to use this design and still would be surprised how well it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. get it!

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Topps-Allen-Ginter-ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-MINI-320-12-of-25-RARE-/152232769655?hash=item2371c7b877:g:wkkAAOSw9IpXz7bP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pickups and once again your custom work is amazing

    ReplyDelete