Tuesday, November 14, 2017

trade bait from the card show

It feels a little irresponsible of me soliciting trades seeing as I've been dragging my feet getting cards into the hands of people I owe (such as Bo, GCA, Kerry, Shane Katz), plus building "CDs & Cards" boxes for N.O. and Chris the Collector, plus a big simmering trade in the works with Bubba and other outgoing-cards activities I need to spend time on.

So I might not be super quick getting trades turned around, but hey, here are some card show pickups that are up for grabs. Check out my wantlist and get in touch if you want. If you're a frequent trade buddy of mine, feel free to ask me to set any of this aside for you.


It bothers John Miller if I don't post any available Braves, so here're some, including a couple 2011 Topps parallels I didn't end up needing.


Cubs, including a Fergie in an attempt to lure Twitch into a trade.


Truth be told, the Chris Davis parallels were from the previous card show. I tried to line up the purple with the Yan Gomes card.


A bunch of Yankees, including a Willy Mo Pena autograph.. seems he nearly made a comeback with the Indians in 2017, but returned to Japan instead.


Dodgers. That Jackie Robinson was in yesterday's post of keepers, but I fight the urge to collect him, so hopefully someone takes it from me. I love Jackie, don't get me wrong, but you can't collect everybody, and if I went down that rabbithole I'd want to land some playing-days vintage, and that could get dangerous.
The 2000 Keebler bag was the complete set. Hated to do it, but I had to pull out Sheffield and Adrian Beltre for my PCs.
I know Night Owl already has more Shawn Green relics than he needs, but maybe someone else would want them.


Johnny Bench is another all-time great I fight the urge to collect. Sometimes in my weaker moments, I even consider putting my Madison Bumgarner cards together.


More memorabilia cards. The Johnny Damon has a dinged corner. I'm not really familiar with Luis Ayala, but thought the Expos manupatch was cool.


Blue Jays. Justin Jackson's mediocre pro career topped out at AA.. but still, it's hard to pass up cheap 1st Bowman Chrome ref autos.


Finally, a couple more autos. Brad Penny helped the Marlins win the World Series in 2003 and went on to have a couple All-Star seasons with the Dodgers. I don't know anything about Troy Stecher, but just took a flyer on a hockey guy in case somebody could use it.

So there's some trade bait. Nothing super enticing, but if anything caught your eye and you wanna work out a trade, just let me know. There may have been a few more pickups already set aside for folks (a few Pirates, maybe a couple Rynos, etc). This wraps up the November card show haul (pt 1, pt 2, pt 3).. thanks for following along!

- - - ---o

And before I end this post, allow me to pay my respects...


I was sad to hear about the passing of Bobby Doerr this week at 99. He really was the patron saint of through-the-mail autographs. Just a great guy who brightened the day of countless card collectors over the years. Though he lived a full life, just shy of a century, it's still a bummer he's no longer with us. First, I got that Distinguished Service insert signed. Then I whipped up a Padres custom cut-signature card using an index card I got cheap on eBay (I realize it's silly to pay for his autograph when he's so generous with it, but I suppose it's nice to have an earlier, smoother signature from him.) Then I got those couple customs signed, two of my all-time favorite TTM returns. I really love how they turned out. Thanks again, Bobby! Rest in peace.


19 comments:

  1. I'll step up for those dodgers you posted. I hadn't heard about Doerr-a great friend to the ttm community for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got those Dodgers set aside for ya.. thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh, sure, now gcrl comments. Oh well, had the Keebler cards already, Jackie was only one I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sure. Now you comment. Jackie was the only one I wanted. lol
      (BTW Gav...I've also got plenty of Shawn Green relics. It would have to be a low number edition or a particularly beautiful card for me to be interested these days)

      Delete
    2. Wow. Can't remember the last time I saw you three Dodger collectors comment on the same post.

      P.S. Didn't know about Doerr either. He was the oldest living MLB player.

      Delete
  3. lots of nice cards here! I'd love to claim Bench if he doesn't make it into your stash. Gorgeous card! The Doerrs are nice but your custom is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's nice an shiny.. I'll throw it on the stack I've got for you.

      Delete
  5. Wily Mo Pena is a Red first, Red Sox second. Forget those dang Yankees.

    Also Luis Ayala was an awesome Washington National in MLB Power Pros (Circa like, 2007). But yeah he's pretty obscure.

    Also that's a pretty nice Brad Penny. I don't know if I need it so this is a super unhelpful post but it definitely is a sweet card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be interested in the Yan Gomes card. Thanks. I am working at piecing together a trade package for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've sent me so much already I kind of feel guilty about it, but if no one else claims the hockey card I'd be glad to take it. Looking like I'll be sending your box out on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on. Yeah, I did think "I'll bet Billy would dig this" when I picked up that hockey card. :)

      Delete
  8. Those Doerr cards are great! Excellent custom work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can never have too much Dodger and Red Sox trade bait in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lure has succeeded! Not just a great Fergie, but one from probably my favorite currently ongoing brand. Can also use the other two if they haven't been claimed yet. If I don't decide to keep them for myself, I can add them to the binder of pink & purple parallels I put together for my mom a couple birthdays ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I've also got a Benchwarmers dual auto that I've had set aside for you for a few months.

      Delete