Sunday, December 24, 2017

Matt Ginter turns 40 (and I'm a published photographer now!)


Damn it, Matt, we're 40 today. I guess it could be worse; we could have not made it to 40. So cheers to us. I don't know about you, but this past year was the year my metabolism finally caught up to me. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and drink all the beer I felt like with no repercussions, but no more.. now I've got a beer belly that is stubbornly sticking around despite my frequent trips to the gym. On the plus side, I'm otherwise in peak health despite that nasty finger infection I dealt with a couple months back. A positive outcome there was for the first time in my adult life, I quit the habit of biting my nails. Talk about an old dog learning a new trick!


Turns out I'm the internet's go-to Matt Ginter collector. He's a guy I collect due to the fact that he's the only major leaguer that was born the same exact day as me. A few months ago, a journalist who was working on a piece on him for a hometown periodical approached me for permission to use some of my scans of his cards from old blog posts here. I said sure, of course. Then she said, "er, actually, could you get me better quality pics?, the ones on your blog are crap." (I'm paraphrasing here.) And I said sure. The deal was I would get a copy of the magazine and photo credit therein. A month or two later, it showed up in the mail.

cover (no Ginter content on there)

Very cool that on some very minor level, I can officially consider myself a published photographer. Just like how I consider myself a "professional musician" thanks to that one time my band got paid a few bucks to perform a decade ago. Hey, according to olympic committee rules, that counts!

Here's the article:










Very cool! Seems like a good guy. Big thanks to Whitney for the copy of the magazine. Nice to feel like I've gotten to know my birthday buddy a little closer now.



Here are a couple recent additions to the PC. The uncut proof Bowman refractor shared with Adam Eaton is pretty neat. The 2000 Omega card is shared with Brad Penny and is #'d 431/999.

-    -    -  -  ----  ----------o

12 Days of Christmas Cards and Beermas - Day 12

We've reached the end of this series. Thanks to you guys for following along.


The final beer is a 2017 Reserve edition of The Abyss by Deschutes Brewery. I'm no stranger to Deschutes, with their Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale Ale being go-to selections around here, but I don't spring for their fancier stuff too often, so this is a nice treat. Thanks again to my wonderful wife for another great Beermas selection.


I don't have a Matt Ginter Christmas Card, but I do have an Allen & Ginter Christmas Card.. close enough! Just got this in this past week in a trade with prominent reader/non-blogger John H. He dropped me an email letting me know he pulled this Stephen Vogt hand-numbered Brooklyn Back Mini out of a blaster of 2016 Ginter, and I was able to swap some of my Giancarlo Stanton dupes for it. Thanks for the trade, John!


Looks like we're getting a white Christmas here in Portland this year. May your days be merry and bright.

Contest update: The entry period will end 12/24/2017 at 11:59.59 PM Pacific Time, so any commenting you wanna do for contest consideration, get it in by then. Give me at least a couple days to figure out the entries and then we'll find a winner or two. Sorry the bonus entry opportunities and additional cards to the prize package kinda dried up at the end there, but I was pretty slammed and just didn't have the time to mess with any non-essential blogging, lol. But trust me, I'll add some good cards to the prize, hopefully tailored to the collecting habits of the winner.

Thanks as always for reading and hope you have a Merry Christmas!

23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday and congrats on your work in the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Gavin! The magazine is great, cool to have that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and Happy Birthday! (In whichever order you prefer.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those scans look great in the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday and the magazine looks great - pretty cool to be a part of it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry White Christmas! Belmont station was out of .394 Ale yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, you can add that contributor blurb to your resume now. Also, Happy B-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I went out and bought 5 copies of the first magazine I was published in. 4 of them are still in the original shopping bag they came in, lol. Writing a post about it would have been much better, if only I knew what blogging was at the time. At least I was able to give one to a cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! And early merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty awesome! I looked one time and I don't have a birthday buddy but I think there are several immediately before and after.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!!! Congrats on the magazine credit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I forget this every year and then realize it again when I see your birthday post... we were born only two days apart. Give me two months and I'll forget again.
    I just checked baseballreference.com and I don't share a bday with any MLBers. Bummer.
    I hear ya about the metabolism. It got me last year and this one wasn't any easier.
    Anyways, happy 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, just wait 10 years. Happy birthday (again), and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to you and Matt and that is really cool to have your photos/cards included in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas Gavin! Cool story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on becoming a published photographer! Happy birthday & Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas and I hoped the Steven vogt would fall in good hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the photo credit and belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete