Wednesday, December 13, 2017

12 Days of Christmas Cards and Beermas + contest


Gonna try doing this on the blog for 12 Days of Christmas Cards / 12 Days of Beermas.

In another instance of the blog serving as a journal of sorts, I was able to search my archives and determine it was 2013 that my wife began our tradition of Beermas, where she gifts me with a craft beer for twelve days leading up to Christmas. Ain't I a lucky guy?! This year, we agreed that I could have each beer revealed to me the evening before, so I can get psyched up about it. And that also means that you blog readers can come along for the ride (though if you want to actually have a sip, you'll have to swing by my house at dinnertime).


The 4th Annual Beermas kicks off with this Pecan Pie Porter from Backwoods Brewing Company out of Washington state. Oh man, this looks tasty. At 5.9%, it's a good Wednesday night beer (don't want to get too sloppy this early in the week). My wife noted that when she bought this at the beer store, the clerk was very excited about this one, saying it's one of his favorites.

I'll update this post with my reaction after I drink it, so check back for that soon if you're interested.

UPDATE: Man, this is really good. Smooth. Sweet, but not as over-the-top sweet as you might expect from a Pecan Pie Porter. It's got kind of an aftertaste of vanilla yogurt, which is weird to say about a beer, but I like it.


And the first featured Christmas Card of this series is an Adam Jones auto from 2017 Museum Collection. He's a fun guy to collect. While not a super mega star, he's consistently very good, and you can count on him pretty much every year to bat around .280 with about 25 homers and excellent defense in the outfield. I think this is a great looking card. It's my second auto from him, after one I made a sweet custom overlay for a couple years back. But yeah, no overlay needed on this one. While not the greatest penmanship, he's got a pleasing stylized signature, with what looks like a jersey number inscription too.


I gotta admit I've dropped the ball this holiday season as far as giving to ya'll on the cardsphere. I usually like to get a handful of "Holiday Blast" card mailings out to my trading buddies, usually with some custom surprises (like the LaMarry Christmas ornament and last year's Tony Gwynn ripcard), but I haven't had a chance to work anything up yet this year, and with us now in the "12 Days" zone, I doubt I'll be able to get anything out before Christmas. Sorry, fellas.

But I'll at least throw in a contest now.


I plan to add to the prize package as the 12 Days go on, but to kick it off, here's a certified auto of Mr. World Series Perfect Game himself, Don Larsen. So one lucky winner will win that plus probably a few more cards to be revealed as we go.

Just comment on this post to enter. And there will be plenty of bonus entries available as the series goes on, so be sure to continue along.
Small print: Anyone can enter, but a condensed PWE version of the prize package will be sent in the event that the winner either A) doesn't have a US address, or B) hasn't commented on my blog this year on a non-contest post. Also Zippy Zappy is ineligible since I know he doesn't like entering contests anyways.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays!

36 comments:

  1. Don Larsen with the Birds, didn't know he played with them. I have a 12/25 card for you. Gotta figure out when I can get it to you before 12/25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was an Oriole before he was a Yankee...I've got a 54 Bowman to prove it!

      Delete
  2. Put one down for Johnny! That beer sounds like something that should have come from Georgia, lol. BTW, you folks on the wrong coast do you pronounce Pecan as Pacan or Peecan? Also noting my Ocala, FL address Pecan Radial Pl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I use both pronunciations interchangeably. I did make note however that my wife called it "pee-CON".

      Delete
  3. That's a really neat looking Larsen auto! Please count me in, and thank you for running the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to your Christmas cards each year! Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in, sir! Looking forward to the Beer-mas posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be a beer faux pas to eat a slice of pecan pie with the porter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can picture you pleading with your wife trying to get a glance of what veer is next. Just like a little kid trying to open a gift early. Cool Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in! Thanks for a great contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a beer a day something something something dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Rod, I didn't know Larsen was an Oriole either. He was 3-21 with them in one season?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Also Zippy Zappy is ineligible since I know he doesn't like entering contests anyways."

    Thank goodness, now I don't have to wait until this contest is over to comment. Very cool cards, Adam Jones is a guy I've seen a lot of folks collect and then drop because for all of his talent he's very okay and yet he pumps out dozens of cards every year. Enough to give people burnout :P.

    As for getting packages out for the holidays, don't sweat it. I usually don't because that's when you're the most likely to end up in line hell where you're a the post office with six other people trying to mail big boxes, and the one guy who just wants a stamp so he can mail out his phone bill. Personally the second week of the new year is what I find to be the best time to send stuff out. Virtually zero lines (compared to the holiday season anyway), and a bunch of discounted stuff like wrapping paper and holiday boxes you can use for the end of the year if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't want to supercollect Adam Jones, but would like to get him over the 100-card hump sometime.

      And yeah, avoiding the post office in the heart of December is a good idea. Good tip about the second week of the year.. maybe I'll try to get some stuff out around then.

      Delete
  12. Holy smokes.. Merry Christmas! 🌲🎅

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that Larsen! The beer looks good, but can't think about it since it's only Wednesday. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely in for this one!! Thanks for the awesome contest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the contest! I'll definitely be following along and getting jealous of all the cool beer you'll be drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh. I'm looking forward to this series. I'm curious to see how many out of state micro-brews your wife will find. Looks like Carson, WA is pretty close to where you're from. You should mention if you've ever been to the brewery you're getting these from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. We haven't visited that many breweries, but if we have, I'll be sure to mention it.

      Delete
  17. I'm a sucker for beer posts! I could probably write two a week, but I don't want people to think I have a problem....Merry Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah. Well, it's my birthday month, so I think that makes it ok. haha

      Delete
  18. That is a very cool Larson card! Could you taste the pecan in the beer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd say there was a hint of pecan for sure.

      Delete
  19. I love the beer idea, and the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beermas reminds me of Bob and Doug Mckenzie Eh?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybm42qM6mnQ

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the contest! You seeing Star Wars this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll probably wait and hit it Christmas Day.

      Delete
  22. Cool. Awesome idea. Like that. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice Jones. I don't drink but looking at the bottles can be fun with unique designs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dude... that Gwynn rip card was awesome! Good times. I'm not a beer guy, but I'd give Pecan Pie Porter a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy holidays! Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete