Saturday, November 3, 2018

McCovey A's customs

Hall of Fame short-term stop! Willie McCovey played just 11 games for the Oakland A's at the end of the 1976 season between stints with the Padres and a homecoming with the Giants the following year. There aren't many photos out there from Stretch's time in Oakland, but I wanted to whip up some customs with what I could find.


Renata Galasso style custom.


1976 All-Time All-Stars. You could squeeze him into this subset as he's the NL grand slams record holder.

I was under the impression that there were no known color photos from his time on the Athletics, as I hadn't seen any-- and believe me, I've kept an eye out. But then I stumbled upon one just today...


.. and used it to make this 1977 Topps custom. McCovey signed with San Francisco in January 1977 and was airbrushed into a Giants uniform in that year's set. But here's a "what if?" had Topps given him an A's card that year.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Great customs.

    Also, batting gloves from the '70s are hilarious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome customs. I didn't even know he played for the A's and I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I have been looking all over for a color picture in the A's gear.

    ReplyDelete