Saturday, March 20, 2021

Rod keeping me current

A couple weekends ago, I was fortunate enough to get another box of cards from Padrographs Rod on his way home from the monthly card show. From the sounds of it, the show has a drastically different look and feel these days, and not for the better. That's a bummer. Maybe by this time next year it'll be back to its old self?

Anyways, let's rundown some highlights from the box.


Finally got an in-hand look at 2021 Topps. I have no interest in spending money on the stuff, but appreciate the sampling. Cool to score some of my main active PC guys and a few of the hot RCs going into the season.



And some late-calendar 2020 releases that I haven't seen much of.



Padres fan favorites. [Ha, yes, Fernando Tatís, Sr never played for San Diego but he's still become a fan favorite thanks to his genes and fathering.]



Off the beaten path here.



Rod told me he got a few of these 2007 Upper Deck Holiday Inn packs at the show, and was kind enough to throw in a couple unopened for me. Sounds like a good time for a pack rip fix!


Each pack contained a Padres HOF pitcher for me and a goofy Ripken.. awesome!

Thanks again, Rod! Loved going through all the cards and found a bunch of keepers.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Rod is the man! How was the show worse than it used to be? Expensive and packed, I am guessing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, expensive and packed, plus different layout and many different sellers. I'm curious to return, perhaps next month, but I have a feeling I'll be longing for the old days. We'll see!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking about going next time too, but as I look at the calendar, I will probably be on a fishing trip with my teenage son then. Bummer.

      Delete
  2. Love the Holiday Inn Ripken cards. Where does the Barney Fife card come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same thing! Feels like it's probably a custom?

      Delete
  3. I would love to see the completed Goofy Ripken set! Very gracious of Padrographs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rod is the man. Nice Muhammad Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Goofy Ripkens crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea Holiday Inn packs existed. They appear to be modeled after the Sweet Spot design. Neat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've definitely picked up a few of those Holiday Inn packs at that show before. The Ripken cards are so cringey.

    I'm pretty sure by the time I am good with going to that show again, I'm going to spend about 5 minutes there and end up leaving. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like every other show these days, high prices, and high traffic!

    ReplyDelete