Friday, January 7, 2022

Rod filling my wallet again

I remembered to swap out my wallet card at about a quarter till midnight on January 1st. 


Here's 2021's 1990 Donruss Tony Gwynn All-Star as it's retired to the binder page. This card saw decent action, making 3 appearances on the blog this past year: in the snow, in the Pacific, in the Atlantic.


Following up red with green? Maybe I've still got the holidays on my mind, as I've tabbed Gwynn's '88 Score card as my wallet card for 2022. Not a great photo, but I love '88 Score, more for the backs really, and have been jonesing for a set for a while. Anyone reading have a 1988 Score baseball complete set available for trade or sale?



After this year, just one more to finish off a 9-pocket page of annual wallet cards. Then the plan is to pick a ride-or-die wallet card in 2024 and just stick with that in perpetuity. But we'll see how it shakes out. For what it's worth, I got a new wallet for Christmas since my old one was falling apart, so I'll be breaking in a new wallet in addition to a new wallet card. (It's kind of a satisfying life victory when a wallet is retired rather than lost or stolen, right?)

Speaking of weathered Tony Gwynn cards, stay tuned to see how the '89 UD card I put in a sunny spot looks after a year of sunbathing. I think that's coming up in February or March.

If you're wondering how I've got stacks of Tony Gwynn cards to "play with" like this, the vast majority came to me via Padrographs Rod. He's been bestowing bulk cards on me for years now, and one such time he thinned out a ton of his Gwynn dupes on me. I'm sure most if not all of my wallet cards have been sourced from that generous cache from Rod.

And that's a good segway to taking a look at highlights from the most recent 400-count box Rod was kind enough to swing by with last month.


Looks like Rod was able to find some current product. Happy to freshen up the collection with recent cards.


Entertaining assortment of nonsport.


There were a few solid Lakers cards in there and a bunch of Olympic cards. Like, a bunch. Anybody working on that 1991 Impel Olympic Hall of Fame set?


Available for trade, limit one per person.


Additions for my Women on Cardboard minicollection.

And the Giles Brothers, highlighted by an '09 vintage stock parallel.

Big thanks as always, Rod! I know your wantlist is pretty tight these days, but I'll hope to return the favor at some point, and of course I'm happy to help with any photoshop needs. Hope to see you blogging again soon too.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend, everybody.

12 comments:

  1. Dang, nice. I gotta move over there in you two's neighborhood and see if I can get on Rod's good side. I also hope to see some blog stuff from him soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I just happen to have an extra 88' Score set. Looks complete (usually I go in and pull the stars), but this one seems like everything is there including the trivia things. I'll put a package together to (try to) fill a medium flat rate box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I know I've got some stuff for you around.

      Delete
  3. Looking good! I should do an update post. I still have my original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (1) What a cool idea to keep the annual wallet cards in a nine-pocket page! I'm sure every one of those cards is worth a thousand words.

    (2) Funny enough, I do need two of the cards from that Olympic HOF set: #65 and #68.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gregory. Sorry, I checked but looks like I don't have any of the Hockey Team cards.

      Delete
    2. No problem at all, Gavin. I definitely appreciate you checking!

      Delete
  5. Who have you got in the Olympic pile? I'm not building it, but some of those folks sign - like Button. Would you set one aside for me, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. I've got a good chunk of the set, so just let me know of any other names you'd be interested in.

      Delete
  6. I really need to update my wallet card. When I do... I'll try to remember to look back at this post so I don't use one of the Gwynn you've already chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea Wishbone had cards! Now the "What's the Story Wishbone" theme song is in my head. I still have the books around somewhere as well.

    The Jurassic Park card came from the action figures. Very hard set to pull a checklist together for. I've not succeeded but I do have a handful of them in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing all your wallet cards together like that!

    ReplyDelete