Monday, August 24, 2026

Completed page of Sign Here cards

Yep, I've accomplished my silly goal of acquiring nine "sign here" cards. 

Here's the latest page added to the binder that houses fun stuff such as my old wallet cards and the Vagabond Binder pages. A full page of cards each used as a guide to let the subject pictured know exactly where the card manufacturer wants their autograph. Tino Martinez is probably the most recognizable name of the bunch. The lone football card is the only one that also includes a real signature. The Gavin Lux that originally started this side quest was in a magnetic one-touch for years, but I think his hobby standing has fallen off enough to let it roam in less-rigid situations now. Still, he gets the honor of holding down the center pocket, flanked by a couple bikini girls.

The page-completing pickup was this Chris Baker 2002 Bowman Chrome X-fractor. Baker pitched professionally for the entirety of the aughts, including over 100 games in AAA, but never made the show, so this didn't set me back much. It's not serial-numbered, but TCDb says it's got a print run of 250. I assume the other 249 have his real signature. Like with the Lux, it would have made more sense for the Topps employee to sacrifice a base auto to use as the example, rather than ruining a "nicer" refractor parallel. But hey, I shouldn't complain; cool for me to land an especially shiny card to finish the project.. or the page, at least.

As I've mentioned in the past, I've been planning to wrap up this minicollection with the completion of a page. And hey, to my credit, I did delete my old saved search... for a few days.. but then set new, narrower search as I was drafting up this post. Guess I just can't completely turn my back on these dumb pseudo signatures that were never meant for circulation. So perhaps I'll throw in a low bid when another one pops up cheap, but don't plan to chase them as hard going forward, and instead be happy with this one crazy page I've put together.

1 comment: