Music-themed die-cut cards! I don't try to collect them all, rather it's one of those type collections where I just try to get one representative from each set.
There's the group pic of what I've currently got. Now let's do a chronological rundown.
1996 Leaf - Greatest Hits
Maybe there are obscure pre-war cards shaped like a flugelhorn or whatever, but best I can tell, Leaf (part of Donruss at the time) gave the world its first music-themed die-cut trading cards in May of 1996 with the release of their flagship set that included acetate inserts shaped to look like a piece of a compact disc. You'd expect an assortment of all-stars on the checklist, but nope, only Frank Thomas! There are a total of 8 "CD" cards featuring a different photo of the Big Hurt-- 4 available in hobby packs, 3 in retail, and 1 wrapper redemption-- and each is #/5000 on the back.
(Tangent on cards that are also playable discs)
Just the next year, Donruss took the concept further with 1997 Donruss VxP 1.0, a set that included 1-per-pack (6 different) rectangular CD-roms you could play on a computer disc drive. The discs featured a minute-long highlight reel of the player, a little trivia game, and if you got all 6 discs you could unlock a special screensaver thingy. I featured the Frank Thomas video in a 2017 post. As far as I can tell, the product was a flop for Donruss, and VxP never got a "2.0" release.
Upper Deck, however, ran with the concept of cards that doubled as playable discs. The first PowerDeck cards in 1997 were billed as "the revolutionary trading card for your audio CD player". UD only released 4 such special cards in that first wave and spread them out by sport: Griffey in baseball, Jordan in basketball, Aikman in football, and Rusty Wallace in racing. They aren't really shaped like CDs, though, rather they are card-shaped but with a hole in the middle that you have to punch out if you want to play the thing (featuring a brief audio interview). Later more common versions of PowerDeck cards were little CD-roms that you could play on a computer similar to the VxP card-discs. I think the final PowerDeck release was in 2000, which seems to be the last gasp of the "multimedia trading card" concept. (Upper Deck later messed around with thick cards that had a device embedded in them so you could watch a little video of the player on the card itself, but those were very limited [expensive to make] and didn't really catch on [batteries died quickly].)
All these actual discs aren't really in the scope of my music die-cuts collecting project, but I figured they were worth a mention.
1996 Leaf Studio - Hit Parade
August 1996, just a few months after the Frank Thomas "CD chunks", Leaf (again under Donruss at the time) was back with more musical die-cutting to unleash on the hobby. There are 10 of these Hit Parade inserts-- this time Frank is joined by 9 other players-- with the cards made to look like a vinyl record partially out of its sleeve, each #/5000 on the back. Fortunately I had a dupe in my Gwynn PC to dispatch to this group. The motif is partially continued on the back, with "Side Two" of the record shown; a nice touch. Apparently promo cards exist for all 10 of these, in case you really want to be a completist.
2001 Fleer Ultra - The Greatest Hits Of
Five years later, Fleer unapologetically made a very similar insert to the die-cuts from '96 Studio, but modernized the concept to a compact disc partially out of its case. There are 10 of these Greatest Hits Of inserts in 2001 Ultra, with each also having a #/10 Platinum Medallion parallel to chase. Fleer upped the theme by including song titles, but they didn't get too clever about it. "Takin' Care Of Business" is a BTO song everybody knows and fits fine for Ripken, but "Iron Man" would've been cooler. I don't think "Rip's Rhapsody" is referencing a real song but rather just a made-up track for Cal. (Is he a Queen fan? Gershwin, perhaps?)
2013 Panini The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary - Gold Albums
Panini's big Beach Boys set from 2013 includes die-cut Gold Albums (22 cards, seeded 1:24 packs), as well as similarly shaped On The Record inserts (30 cards, seeded 1:12). I had this one Surfin' USA dupe available-- I'm technically trying to build the set on TCDb, but I never find anyone to trade non-sport stuff there-- so it gets the call to represent the set. Both inserts also have two parallels, Artist's Proof and gold-foil-surfer-silhouette-in-the-corner, like pretty much every card in that product does.
Turns out Kiss put out Gold Album die-cut insert cards quite similar to this in 2001, designed like a gold record poking up out of the sleeve, though I only found out about them while researching this post. I'm currently only seeing them for like $20 a pop... haven't bitten. A music-themed die-cut for a band isn't as quirky as sports guys shoehorned into a musical theme, but I'll still try to score one of those Kiss die-cuts if one pops up cheap.
2022-23 Upper Deck Parkhurst Champions - Jukebox Heroes
2026 Bowman - Power Chords
And finally, here's the latest entry: Topps gets in on the music-shaped fun with die-cut cards in 2026 Bowman. These Power Chords refractor inserts are cool looking but common enough to where even a big name like Aaron Judge didn't set me back much. But of course it's 2026 and this is Fanatics we're talking about, so there are several parallels and autographs out there if you have the urge to drop more cash on guitar-shaped cards.
That's a wrap. Do you know of any other music-themed die-cut trading cards that I haven't mentioned here? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading and have a great weekend, everybody.







I love seeing all these cool designs. Great mini collection! I'll have to see if I recall any other cards with this theme but so far I can't come up with any
ReplyDelete