Friday, January 31, 2014

2004 Retired needs down to just a desperate dozen!

I seem to post an update every month or so on my foolish goal of collecting all 76 certified autos in the 2004 Topps Retired Signature Edition set. I've picked up a few since the last time, so let's take a look...


Johnny Bench! Gorgeous refractor. #'d 23/25.


This Wade Boggs refractor is also a real beauty. 06/25. Got it for a decent price.. I'm glad I didn't cave and pay ~$200 for the graded copies of this card that taunted me at COMC.


Don Zimmer here is "just" a base auto, not refractor.. but still a nice addition.


Another refractor! 21/25. I already had the base auto of this card, but when the price is reasonable, I like to "upgrade" to a refractor parallel. They're just so damn pretty! Since I semi-collect Al Oliver, I might hang on to both autos, though normally I'm happy to just have a refractor and don't try for any "parallel rainbow" action. The base auto was just the second card I got from this set (behind Bill Madlock), back when I first got the brilliant idea "yeah, I'mma go after completing a high-end set of auto cards.. cause I'm an idiot and I hate having money."

Anyways, this brings me to 64 autos down, only 12 left to go.

2004 Topps Retired Signature Edition

Red = Need it
Green = Got it
Blue = Refractor acquired (/25)

Group A: Cal Ripken; Nolan Ryan; Carl Yastrzemski; Robin Yount
Group B: Hank Aaron; Ernie Banks; Stan Musial; Duke Snider
Group C: Johnny Bench; Yogi Berra; Whitey Ford; Bob Gibson; Dwight Gooden;Tony Gwynn; Don Mattingly; Brooks Robinson; Mike Schmidt; Tom Seaver; Ozzie Smith
Group D: Wade Boggs; John Candelaria; Jose Canseco; Gary Carter; Carlton Fisk; Ralph Kiner; Paul Molitor; Paul O'Neill; Frank Robinson; Ryne Sandberg; Darryl Strawberry; Don Zimmer
Group E: Buddy Bell; Rod Carew; Bucky Dent; Rob Dibble; Dennis Eckersley; Tony Fernandez; Rollie Fingers; George Foster; Ceasar Geronimo; Kirk Gibson; Goose Gossage; Orel HershiserAl Hrabosky; Greg Luzinski; Tony Oliva; Dave Parker; Jimmy Piersall; Alan Trammell;
Group F: Davey Lopes
Group G: Tony Armas; Vida Blue; Tom Brunansky; Bill Buckner; Orlando Cepeda; Darren Daulton; Darrell Evans; Bobby Grich; Ferguson Jenkins; Wally Joyner; Jimmy Key; Ron Kittle; Bill Madlock; Jack McDowell; Dale Murphy; Graig Nettles; Al Oliver; Bobby Richardson; Ron Santo; Dave Stieb; Bruce Sutter; Ron Swoboda; Luis Tiant; Earl Weaver; Maury Wills
Group H: Elroy Face

There's currently a Musial refractor on eBay, but at a stupid price ($444). Hopefully the guy decides to really sell it one of these days and reposts it with a low opening bid.

And I'm not sure if it's still there, but recently there was a Nolan Ryan refractor with a ridiculous asking price of like $599. I even ventured a stupid "best offer" that was still pretty ridiculous, and it was instantly denied. Grrrr. Would love that one to pop up with a reasonable opening bid someday.

The only cards here I've never seen on eBay (or for sale elsewhere) in the year or two I've been chasing this set are the Gwynn and Seaver. As a native San Diegan, the Gwynn in particular is a "white whale" for me. Someday!

3 comments:

  1. Great pick-ups! It's been fun watching your progress on this set! Good luck with the last 12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All four of the cards you added have amazing signatures. Some of those old school ball players sure know how to sign autographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "… Cause I'm an idiot and I hate having money." It's like you can read my mind.

    ReplyDelete