Friday, January 10, 2014

Scribble Showcase: 10 autos of should-be HOFers

There's no denying it, I've become a full-fledged autograph collector. Specifically certified auto cards. Hate to say it, but over the past few months my collecting habits have been focusing more and more on signed cardboard. For my bank account's sake, I'm hoping it's just a phase. But I figured I should have a reoccurring series on Baseball Card Breakdown where I can show off my new scores with no additional context. And so, Scribble Showcase is born! Enjoy.



Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Mark Kotsay belongs in the Hall. Solid with the bat, and graceful in the outfield, he was a pleasure to watch during his stint(s) as a Padre. Good guy. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Homer Bush belongs in the Hall. The guy batted .380 for the Yanks in 1998!(in 45 games)! They have him to thank for single-handedly bringing them home the Championship that year, if you ask me. After that, the Blue Jays were so desperate to get him, they traded Roger Clemens for him!(and a couple other guys)! And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Dustin Hermanson belongs in the Hall. As a starter, his best season was '98 with the Expos when he won 14 games to go with a fine 3.13 ERA. He was lights-out in 2005 after moving to the pen for the White Sox. His 34 saves and 2.04 ERA were instrumental in bringing the Windy City their first World Series Championship since Biblical times. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Bubba Trammell belongs in the Hall. Oh wait-- I'm thinking of Alan Trammell! ...No relation. Oh well.. I guess Bubba's ok, too. He cranked out 42 home runs over 2 solid years as a Padre. He once hit four home runs in a single game for the Toledo Mud Hens, with whom he's pictured on this card. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Scott Servais belongs in the Hall. Splayed himself behind the plate for 11 years in the bigs, usually a back-up catcher, but a starter for 3 years with the Cubbies in the mid 90s. A class act all the way. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Pokey Reese belongs in the Hall. His consecutive Gold Glove winning streak spanned an incredible 2 millennia!(1999-2000)! In 2004, his top-notch utility infieldering was instrumental in helping the Red Sox to their first World Series Championship since man discovered fire. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Tom Lampkin belongs in the Hall. Growing up, he was the premiere back-up catching extraordinaire for my hometown Padres for 3 impressionable years. He kicked around for 13 seasons, never quite figuring out major league pitching, though he hit over .300 in AAA several times. Like a true hero, he returned to San Diego for one last hurrah in '02 before hanging up his chest protector. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Jeff Fassero belongs in the Hall. His career got off to a blazing start, clocking an ERA under 3.00 in each of his first 4 seasons. While he couldn't quite keep that up, he pitched over 2,000 innings as a dependable major league hurler for 16 years. And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Paul Assenmacher belongs in the Hall. A career reliever (just one solitary start on his resumĂ©), he's 28th all-time in games pitched. And his fielding percentage is 4th all-time among retired pitchers (.986). And now I've got his autograph!


Now, this might not be a popular opinion, but I think Juan Encarnacion belongs in the Hall. He hit a solid .270 over an 11-year career, with 156 dingers and 127 swipes. Picked up a couple rings along the way, first with the Marlins in '03, then another with the Cardinals in '06. And now I've got his autograph!

All these cards pictured above came in a trade from Fuji of the wonderful blog the Chronicles of Fuji. Thanks, Fuji! You rock!

8 comments:

  1. I cannot argue with any of those selections. The Hall would be a better place with all of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have a supporting voice, here! Thanks, TLC!

      Delete
  2. I'm a little undecided on most of them, but Pokey definitely belongs in the Hall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a whole separate wing dedicated to guys with cool names.. Pokey, Pumpsie, Shooty, etc

      Delete
  3. Thanks for kicking off the 2014 trading season! Glad the cards arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of Homer Bush, he's just been announced as hitting coach for the Eugene Emeralds, San Diego's short season affiliate.

    ReplyDelete