Monday, June 30, 2014

Cards at my reception (Last wedding-related post, I promise!)

Last/to night was my wedding reception. We got married in Hawaii a week and a half ago, but had a delayed party for our friends/family back home a while later.


I originally met my wife on a message board for a band we both liked (above), about a decade ago. Seven years ago (to the day of the reception), I got the balls to make my amorous intentions known to her, and I'm so glad I did and that she was receptive to it! After a couple years of long-distance relationship, I took the plunge and moved from San Diego up to Portland, and 2 or 3 years after that, asked if she'd make it official with me. And now here we are, a married couple. Kinda crazy to think about. Life is a funny thing.

We had about 60 people show up to the reception, and while all were appreciated, the highlight for me probably has to be my friend Jason, who was a member of the same message board where I met my wife.. probably known him for a decade, but this was the first time we met in person. He's really a great guy, and I'm so glad he made it up from Salt Lake City for the party.

The best part? You guessed it! He surprised me with my favorite thing.. BASEBALL CARDS! When I was talking to him, he reached into his pocket and pulled out some cards for me. Yep, I received baseball cards at my wedding reception. Perfect! Thanks, Jason!

So let's take a look at the cards that I received on this, the day of my wedding reception.


Yes, a couple Gavins.. autogavphs, at that! Floyd (mini!) and Cecchini. Awesome! Seriously, imagine at your wedding, somebody blindsides you with something from one of your main collecting focuses. I was pretty blown away.


On top of those 2 cards, Jason also gave me a sealed pack of 2012 Archives. Nice! Let's bust 'er open.


Some nice cards, including all-time greats Reggie, Clemente, and Cobb, but the hit of the pack has to be the Yaz '61 reprint SP. Love it! I'll cherish it always as a reminder of one of the best days of my life. And very fitting that Jason/apexsensation is a fan, too, and evident in his old comment on that link (but really, every true baseball fan has to love Yastrzemski, right?) That really was a perfect pull. :)

Thanks again, Jason! And thanks to all you guys for putting up with my wedding/reception posts for these past couple weeks. I'll chill out with all that now and get back to focusing on cards. You'll have to forgive me, as I've been a lonely dork for most of my life, and am very happy to have finally found a great girl who really likes me and can appreciate my silliness and weirdness. I'm a lucky guy.

Take care and thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I may have some Gavins to trade you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on everything - finding a great gal, getting hitched, getting cool cards, and pulling that sweet Yaz card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duuuuuuuuuuuude! Nice pulls! I love that Yaz card. Never seen the short print. And I never get retired stars when I buy them, so good pull on the Cobb, Clemente and Reggie. I was going to give you a pack of Topps Heritage as well, but left it in my bag. From your pack, it looks like the right choice was made, not only because of the pulls, but because of the variety of years used in the Archives sets.

    ReplyDelete