Saturday, July 14, 2018

Card Show Crescendo


Decent card show today. I bought a bunch of 50¢ cards and a bunch of 10¢ cards.

While the 50¢ cards had some good ones in there, I couldn't muster a whole long of inspiration to write about them, so I'll be showing off the dimebox cards here.


There was a partial set of 1988 San Bernardino Spirit. No Griffey in the dimebox, obviously, but I picked out some names that struck me.


Bad pic, but here are a couple Gooses and some Gwynns. OPC, Electric Diamond, Silver Signature, and whatnot.


A couple OPC Mets and old-timer Ziplocs.


Pedro silver signature and a bunch of Electric Diamond, most of which are HOFers.


Eddie Murray trio highlighted by a magazine freebie.


Another bad pic; sorry, guys.. I'm really phoning in this post, I'll admit. It's hot. The gold cards are Cobb and Feller. Then goes Maddux, Biggio, Spahn. Barfield box bottom, Bagwell hologram oddball, Strawberry, Gaylord, Trammell, Kevin Mitchell Mets Star.


Classic 80s card with the silly hat.


Hard for me to pass up any serial numbered card for a dime. Turns out I needed the Brandon Phillips card for my 2011 Topps parallel frankenset, so good score for me there.


Harry and the Hendersons (not pictured: Harry)


That Grace mini is pretty cute. And dig the "2 hits, 2 teams, 1 day" Tale of the Game.


Some Padres fan favorites. Pretty sure I needed most of these.


Finally, these were actually 25¢ each. Figured I could likely upgrade some solid names for my '71 Topps set. The Babe Ruth is obviously a reprint (and it mentions it's reprint on the back, so it's not a counterfeit), but thought it was neat enough to drop a quarter on.

Speaking on old cards.. check it out.. I'm on pins and needles right now. My wife went shopping with her folks today while I was at the card show. When she came home, she mentioned to me that her mom said she's got a co-worker who was cleaning out the attic of a deceased uncle or something and turns out the departed had several boxes of baseball cards, and the lady was planning on just throwing them out. My mother-in-law, bless her heart, spoke up (via text) and said she could find a good home for them (me!). But that's where we stand at the moment. I haven't heard if the lady responded. Not sure if we're too late (have the cards already been thrown out?). Getting a sweet collection dropped in your lap is every collector's dream! Fingers crossed! I'll be sure to let ya'll know if anything comes from this.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you keep us updated on that possible collection add. Can't believe someone would just throw cards away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully those cards make it to you, saving them from the dumpster is a good deed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good day, my favorites are the Ziploc cards. Though it would have been hard to turn any of those down.

    I hope you can get all those cards, I can't wait to hear updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping those cards make their way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it's a collection full of cards from the 50s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff! Love the 71T Gamble, the Ziploc Rollie, and the minor league Dick.

    ReplyDelete