Thursday, January 4, 2024

Zapped by the ghosts of a few hundred Forever stamps

Zippy Zappy is a guy who hit the cardblog scene around the same time as me so I kinda feel like I have a bond with him like we were in the same graduating class or something. I've always loved reading his blog, learning stuff and getting his unique perspective on the hobby. He's been super generous with me, shipping several packages of cards across the country from New York to Portland over the past decade. I try to hit him back so I don't feel too guilty about it, but he's got a narrow focus and makes a priority of keeping a tight collection, limiting my potential for return fire. Thankfully he seems cool with the imbalance.

In a recent post, Kenny was lamenting his lack of storage space and joked about trashing the impressive collection of TTM/IP autographs he built up and logged on his blog over the years. I wasn't sure how serious the threat was, but I let him know I'd be happy to be caretaker of the cards if they need it. I'm fortunate to have a "cardroom" to fill with my collection. And while that room is always very full/messy, things eased ever since I found a secret additional room in my house a couple years ago. (That's a whimsical way of saying I realized I had accessible attic space I could use to store my Junk Wax Era complete sets.) So sure, if a buddy of mine has meaningful cards they reluctantly feel they must part with, I'm happy to help. And from a less noble standpoint, hell yeah I'm always down for free cards, baby!! LOL

A big box arrived yesterday with Zippy's trademark return address shenanigans. Included was the above box with a hefty portion of his through-the-mail-or-in-person autograph collection that I'll be happy to look after, though his accompanying note said I could do whatever with the cards. I'll likely keep them intact for a little while, if not a long while, in case he decides he's ready for them back at some point. The personalized cards were taken out (except one "To Kenny" from Eric Young, Jr.), so hopefully those stayed with him, or will maybe end up with another collectors who goes by the name Kenny.


In the interest of getting this post out ASAP, I'm just showing a few highlights. The majority of the cards are 2012-2016 minor leaguers, so many never went on to become stars, but it's still a kick thumbing through them. Lots of "Oh, I remember that guy!" and "Who?" And sometimes you get a guy who beat the odds like Trea Turner or Aaron Nola. A few big names like Adrian Beltre and Joe Carter in there too.


I remember when Kenny took a go at building a signed set of 1979 Topps, though he didn't dig his heels in with that project for too long. Cool to see the occasional old Topps card of solid players of the past along with the modern cards in the box.


Certified autographs were in there too, some on redeemed redemptions. I don't follow basketball much, but JJ Redick is a pretty nice player to have an autograph of fall in my lap. Michael King just came to the Padres in the Juan Soto trade, so I'll be rooting for him to pitch well for my hometown team.


Star Wars Legos! Looks like a couple complete fighters here with instructions for me to piece together sometime. While I haven't gone hard with Lego as an adult, I loved playing with them as a kid and still have most of them. Lego Masters is a fun show, too.


Wall art and more toys. It was like a second Christmas going through this box. Fun stuff!


Let's close with some non-sport. That's a lot of that purple one! With the addition of these two Stranger Things commemorative patches, I've now got 4 of them. Man, that Megan Fox auto deserves a better photo.. hang on..


There we go! That's a very nice add for my minicollection of women on cardboard.

Thanks again so much, Zippy! If/when you get rooted somewhere with more storage space and start getting a sentimental longing for anything you've given me, please don't be shy to mention it and I'll be more than happy to return the kindness if I'm able.


Random Ruby. To Kenny.

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really nice of him. That's a Zapping for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd design on that Accolades card - looks like she's standing in front of a circular saw blade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "(E)xcept one "To Kenny" from Eric Young, Jr."

    Fuck, I meant to keep all of the ones addressed to me but one must've slipped through the cracks, sorry for the trouble that one caused Gavin.
    I might have to ask for just that one back since... lol.
    Thanks for taking the rest off my hands though. Hopefully the Luis Castillos and Corbin Burnes of the bunch will make up for how entire teams like the A's/M's/Angels ended up busting out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no worries! The "To Kenny" is in a dark part of the photo, so I figured it might have accidentally slipped by. I'm happy to return that one to you; would just need a current mailing address or I'm happy to hang onto it till whenever.

      Delete
    2. Also great doggo pictures. Imbalance is now balanced.

      Delete
    3. ahaha I think I got one "to Kenny" as well. In some ways having one is perfect since it personalizes the entire collection. But yeah if you'd like it back (looks to be Erik Wordkemper) you'll need to shoot me your address.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's very generous. The Fox auto sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan Fox and Star Wars Legos? I feel like me and Kenny could be best friends. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Nicely done getting this post out so fast. I only made it all the way through my portion yesterday. Might get a post out in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Gary Matthews OPC auto is SWEET, likewise Megan kind of takes the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed at "return address shenanigans"....I know it well! Awesome box he sent you, and no doubt he found a great caretaker for his collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Beltre, Redick, and Megan Fox autos are awesome. You've got a hidden gem there with the J.T. Miller Young Guns RC; a nice $25-40 card of a top ten scorer in the NHL this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Yeah, my knowledge of current sports besides MLB has really atrophied over the past few years, so I don't know many current hockey players. But looks like my hockey collection was kicked up a notch thanks to this box. Several NHL TTMs also in there.

      Delete