Wednesday, April 24, 2024

A little Bush and some Big Hurt

Happy for Reggie Bush getting his Heisman back. Got a small PC going for him because he’s a "local kid" for me; went to a rival high school in my district a few years after I graduated. Some highlights of what I've got:



In other news, the one "random card" in my COMC order (ie, not for a specific hobby project but just because I thought it was cool) was this die-cut Frank Thomas:


This was an example of "music on cards" I didn't have, and yeah I thought it was cool.


Frank Thomas CD collection is now up to a robust 2.25 discs. Actually that die-cut isn't quite a quarter of a CD. And they had to fudge the size:


Here lined up with a standard-sized CD.



In more Frank Thomas content, my rotating cardroom display is currently featuring my variety of his 1990 Topps card. Nothing here cost me over a buck! I don't have an original NNOF, but I do have the 2010 Topps "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" reprint in both standard and tough original back variation (...lucky cardshow finds).

But technically the rarest of the cards in this display is the "white border" card that no one else has:


Yeah ok, so it's just "cardart" I made by bleaching the borders for a year or two, and so therefore no "value" there, but I love it and consider it one of my top Big Hurt cards.


Here's another shot in late-afternoon sun where you can really check out the texture of the card. It's a little sloppy around the inner border, but man, it was a big sense of accomplishment when I finally got the last of the gnarly 90s border to finally disappear.  One could make a case that this is also a "partial NNOF" because of the "M" imperfection. LOL. 

Thanks for reading and follow your dreams.

10 comments:

  1. hmm? I wish I knew what I dreamt about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not much of a hockey card collector, but if you like 'music cards' check out Parkhurst's Jukebox Heroes. What does a jukebox have to do with hockey? I dunno, but they're die-cut and music related: http://www.tcdb.com/Images/Large/Hockey/415561/415561-24080099Fr.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! I might need to track down one of those.

      Delete
  3. Love those CD cards. I should look for some as relics from a bygone age. And LOL at the reprinted NNOF Thomas cards which fail to reproduce the printing error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the simplified revision of the original error is funny, but it at least makes it easier to spot the reprints in the wild, I guess. ha

      Delete
  4. That white border card is awesome! The fact that it takes two years to make definitely give it some kind of value. Great job Gavin!

    P.S. Love the Big Hurt CD cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! I might someday have an extra white border Gwynn to surprise you with. :)

      Delete
  5. Really love seeing the Frank Thomas CD diecut cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reggie bush pc....I might have some I can trade ya! Not sure if you have anything left in my trade pile lol.

    Drop me a message on Twitter or email! Also will need your new address again lol

    ReplyDelete