Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Nickening

Looks like I'll have a string of trade recap posts this week. Yesterday was Zippy, today is Dimebox Nick, and waiting in the wings are packages from Angus and Wes that just showed up. With all these great incoming cards, it's easy to ignore the release of 2019 Topps Series One today. I feel like my interest in current flagship couldn't be lower, though I don't hate the design this year and am glad to see the return of full stats on the back.


Here's a nice one to kick off with. McCovey is a big PC guy for me, plus I'm thinking I'd like to make a run for Kellogg's sets at some point in the coming years.


A little deja vu from yesterday's Japanese girlie cards, another one of those boxes with a bunch of swimsuit cards of one particular young lady. Jun Amaki here is quite lovely. Perhaps this was re-traded by way of Zippy? Hey, I'll happily take any unwanted girlie cards (and probably pass off any I don't want to Billy.)


Back to baseball, here are some minis. Always love adding a new Hoyt.


These old Baseball Card Magazine pseudo-customs are fun. I had been debating whether or not to cut the sheet I recently got featuring the Kevin Maas card, but thanks to this already-cut one from Nick, I can leave the other intact.


And more various cards of  guys I collect.


Solid selection of Padres from this decade. Looks like I needed all 3 of those 2011 Topps parallels for my frankenset, so that makes me happy.


Trea Turner is a guy I recently bumped off my wantlist and retired the PC into the Hundred Card Club. That didn't take me long.. feels like he was just recently a rookie, fleeced from San Diego's org. Hopefully Tatis Jr at shortstop takes the sting out of that transaction soon. Anyways, nice lot here.


Nick and I are both Rod Beck collectors, and he's good about throwing his dupes my way.


And of course Mr. Padre. Dig the cartoon fly with backwards hat.


Impressive lot of George Springer cards.


Bunch of Brian Giles.


And little bro, Marcus.


More Pads of the Past. Some nice ones here. Note the minor league Bochy with "C/CH" position. That was his last stand as a player.


The package wraps up with some vintage cards from Nick's dad, buttering me up for another batch of music customs on the horizon.


The '64 Topps needs are much appreciated. Inching toward ¾ complete with this set.


The highlights here are legendary manager Walt Alston and a combo card featuring Yaz. (Not sure how Chuck Schilling squeezed onto this "Sox Sockers" card; the guy hit a total of 23 homers in his entire career.)

Big thanks, Nick! (and Nick's dad!) I don't think I've got much left set aside for you right now, but I'll keep an eye out. And just let me know when your dad wants to get that custom project going.

4 comments:

  1. Two quality trade packages with two quality trade partners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, didn't even notice Trea Turner had shifted into the "Retired PC" list! Hope those work as a small extension of your collection of his at least. And yes, those girlies went from ZZ to me to you, which is kinda fitting given the trade post you wrote yesterday! I'll be in touch about the music customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Fregosi looks so young on that '64!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! Especially love those Baseball Card Magazine pseudo-customs.

    ReplyDelete