Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Ready for the World Series


I had to splurge on a Juan Soto autograph. I'm pretty happy with this one. Big, on-card signature. Still had a few eBay Bucks left to help take the sting out of the price. He's a terrific young player who's a lot of fun to watch.


It's from 2019 Bowman Sterling. Numbered out of 25.

While I'm at it, I figured I'd show off a few of my best cards of other players I collect who are competing in the Fall Classic this year.


Stephen Strasburg is a guy I collect thanks to his status as a fellow SDSU alum. This is a custom overlay I made a couple years back.


Some of my other decent Stras cards. I hope he does well in the series.


I collect some dudes in the other dugout, too. This Carlos Correa atomic auto is a favorite of mine.


Other highlights in that PC include a prospect auto, a slabbed Pro Debut, and a Members Only parallel from Stadium Club.


A year or two back I kinda-sorta started collecting Max Scherzer. No auto yet, but I've accumulated a few solid cards of his.


I started collecting George Springer after his impressive performance in the 2017 postseason.


Dig these thicc Crystal Ball inserts from 2015 Stadium Club.


Some other Springer highlights.


Trea Turner is another Nat I collect. His success is bittersweet for me, since the Padres gave him up in an ill-advised trade.


Gotta love Jose Altuve (..unless you're a Yankees fan, I suppose). My PC of him is highlighted by an Archives auto, a Heritage action variation, and 3 rookies. Still need a parallel of his Topps rookie for my 2011 frankenset. If anybody has one, I'd love a chance to tempt you into a trade.


Shortly after his ALCS-winning jack, I whipped up this Altuve gif (at the brilliant suggestion of Dennis). The "hand cut" effect is kinda neat. I already had much of this card whipped up thanks to a custom I made a couple years ago...


Nice looking custom.

I think that's it as far as guys I collect who are in the WS. All the early Gerrit Cole cards that came my way ended up going to Matthew Scott. Pretty much any Verlander cards I've had over the years have gone to Dennis. I also collect Alex Bregman, but don't have anything really notable yet. I have an auto each from Adam Eaton and Ryan Zimmerman, though I don't really collect either player.


I think it's gonna be a fun series. Too bad the Astros had to poop in the pool with their continued poor handling of domestic violence issues. I was already lightly rooting for Washington, and now after recent stuff in the news, I'm really hoping they can pull off the upset. Though if I was a betting man, my money would be on Houston. But yeah, regardless, hope we get some exciting biggest-stage baseball.

4 comments:

  1. As always, your custom gifs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude... there are some unbelievable cards in here. You should show off your player PCs more often! Some of the stuff you pull out of the blue never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That Crystal Ball insert is crazy thick. As a fellow autograph collector... I gotta say your collection is reall awesome! Tonight's game was pretty awesome. Hope this thing goes 7 games... with either Soto, Scherzer, or Altuve taking home the WS MVP Award. I'd throw Kurt Suzuki's name into the list, but that's never going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, I don't hate Altuve. Totally respect him as one of the best players in the game, easily in the top 5. The Astros were the better team, it was clearer and clearer as the series went on. This wasn't anything like Edgar Martinez in 1995 or Luis Gonzalez in 2001.

    I did skip right over your GIF without looking at it, of course.

    ReplyDelete