Tuesday, July 2, 2024

2003 Topps Retired check-in

My card collection is being taken up a notch today. Literally. The side of my house with the cardroom has been slowly sinking a tiny bit since we moved in nearly 4 years ago, and today the foundation is being worked on to secure the house and raise it back up a little. It's been a nagging concern of mine for a while now, so I'm glad it's being taken care of. But yeah, another expensive adventure in homeownership.

Anyways, here are some 2003 Topps Retired autographs I've picked up over the last while.


Sad that Orlando Cepeda passed away. Time marches on and we just keep losing stars from that classic 50s-70s era of baseball, and it's a bummer. But at least they live on in our collections.


"Last off the line" here, with number 25/25. Nice shot of his career stats. You can see a couple big injures leaving their mark.

Quick tangent, back in my early fascination with "Christmas Cards", I featured Orlando Cepeda's 2004 Retired 12/25 refractor auto in a blog series and gave it its own silly photoshop:


Rest in Peace, Baby Bull.



My "setbuild" of 2003-05 Topps Retired autographs leans strongly to the refractors, but I'll snag a base auto if the price is right, and that's what happened when this Bo Jackson popped up with a better buy-it-now price than I can remember seeing. I'll still hope to score a refractor someday, but it's a beautiful card even without the extra shine.


The rainbow behind Tug McGraw lets you know this one is a refractor. Love the smiley face Tug liked to add to his signature.



Last one for today is Jim Piersall, proudly refracting.


And it's the Christmas Card!

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. I wish you well with the house leveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that Bo a few times, but never anywhere near my price range. I can't even imagine what the refractor might sell for these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Hope everything goes well with the foundation work.

    B. Hadn't heard the news about Cepeda. Sad to lose another Giants star.

    C. Those Topps Retired refractors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete