Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I got a Nolan Ryan auto

After posting nearly everyday for a good stretch there, things are slowing down again slightly at Baseball Card Breakdown. Between things picking up at work (back to full-time till September.. poo! The money is nice, but I loved sleeping in and working 6-hour days) and just general blogging ennui, expect to see me back to posting just 2 or 3 times a week for a while.

Now, here's just a quick post to show off a neat card I picked up recently. This was a "wedding gift to myself" that I bought (on eBay) while honeymooning in Maui last month.


I very rarely drop three-figures on a card, but this is a pretty sweet Ryan with a print run of just 35 (though it's not serial numbered), enticing enough for me to spend a little over a C-note on it. While 2004 Topps Retired gets most of my adoration, I also am a fan of the 2003 and 2005 Retired sets, the latter being whence this card came. (I've still got an eye out for a reasonably priced 2004 Retired Ryan auto; I've seen a couple pop up on eBay in recent months, but in the neighborhood of a $400 buy-it-now, which is crazy.)


Nolan Ryan is obviously one of the game's all-time greats, so this is a pretty nifty addition for me; certainly a centerpiece of my collection. No offense to the Lone Star State or Big Apple, but as a Southern Californian child of the 70s, I think my favorite Ryan Express era is his stint with the Angels, so I'm happy with this photo selection (though an action shot could have been better than Suttoning). Nice-looking on-card autograph. Still in the uncirculated hard case (a couple scuffs behind Nolan's back, but not too bad). And of course, the full stats on the back, which I appreciate so much more than a "Congratulations" back. Yep, I like this card a bunch.


10 comments:

  1. I love Topps Retired Signature and that's a beautiful card, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice auto! That's one I need to add myself, have his RC just no auto, and congrats on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wedding gift EVER! Even if you did give it to yourself! Seriously, that is a great looking card! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Topps Retired. Congrats on a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some very cool cards in the Topps Retired signature sets and a Ryan on-card autograph is a great center piece for a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet pickup! Really nice looking card.

    ReplyDelete