Friday, April 7, 2023

A random blog post

First I gotta do some catching up with incoming cards from the past week or two. 


My previous post was kinda weird and deliberately tricky to read, but the gist of it was that I've been whipping up a bunch of nutty customs inspired by Andy Warhol's famous Pete Rose card art, and as mentioned in that post-- if you zoom in enough to read it-- I was able to swing a trade with a big Pete Rose fan named Tom that netted me this beautiful Charlie Hustle specimen. At #559, it's a tough semi-high number, and was one of the biggest needs remaining on my wantlist as I continue crawling towards the finish line with this challenging set.

Thanks, Tom!

- - --o


Sticking with '72 and then into '73, these are highlights from the latest pack of WTHB customs. Nice work from Gio as always but his printshop might want to mind the centering. Hank is fine but most of the other cards in the pack lean left. One reason I print my own customs at home is better control over stuff like that, but a professionally printed card does have a nice look & feel to it that you can't quite get with photo paper in a standard home printer.

- - --o

Another seasoned custom card maker, Jeremy at Topps Cards That Never Were kindly surprised me by sending a PWE of Gavin Sheets cards.


Four sheets to the wind? More like four Sheets to my PC. Thanks, Jeremy!

- - --o

And I swung a little trade with Jon that netted me a page worth of glow-in-the-dark Beanie Babies sticker cards.


Apparently there are 25 total in the checklist, so there are still plenty more left for me to track down for my GITD minicollection. I had previously only had Bronty, but when it comes to glowing cards, even dupes are keepers for me.


Here they are in the dark (looks like Beak missed out on the direct light when I charged these up).

Thanks for the easy swap, Jon!

- - --o

Not really trading related, but let's squeeze this into the post. I've really been hitting the All-Time Fan Favorites refractors hard over the past year or two-- it accounts for most of my card-buying activity these days-- and I hit a nice milestone this week.

Halfway point! And that's not factoring in several cards sitting in my COMC inventory waiting to ship. Also have 5 more en route via TCDB trade.

- - --o

The Sandlot was released 30 years ago, and I took that as an excuse to bust out my Sandlot PC and take a photo.


A closer look at most of these can be found at this post from 2019. Classic flick!

- - --o

Ending the post with a Ruby appearance.


Have a great Easter weekend, everybody.


Peace out!

6 comments:

  1. The Aaron custom is sweet. As for the Sandlot, Marley grew up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love that '73 Hoyt custom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Bonds refractor is really nice. I've looked into the WTHBalls customs but I've been leery of purchasing a pack. Maybe for the next batch, if he gets the centering straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Sandlot collection is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super jealous of that Sandlot autograph set! That thing is awesome. That Bonds is really cool too. That's gonna be a gorgeous set when you complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like even just getting to the halfway point on your set is a pretty big accomplishment, so congratulations on that!

    ReplyDelete