Sunday, May 25, 2014

Christmas in May: McGriff takes a bite out of Christmas

[I collect "Christmas Cards" {any card serial numbered 12/25}. On the 25th of each month, I like to pull out something from this mini-collection to feature on the blog.]





Gotta love Fred McGriff. Nice to see Topps showing him love in recent years, including him in sets like Archives, Tribute, and Five Star. His certified autos were once few and far between, but are now plentiful.

I did a little write-up on Crime Dog last year in a One True Rookie feature, so I'll just link to that rather than cover his fine career again here.

This is a nice-looking card, signed in silver. As noted recently at the Lost Collector, the silver pens Topps has been using lately might be a bit too fat, often jumbling up the signature into an inkflow mess. While a finer point may have improved the card, I'm still pretty happy with it. This is the third Five Star Silver Signatures auto I've picked up, joining Christmas Cards I've posted already of Paul Molitor and Tim Raines.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment