Thursday, August 13, 2020

Joining the Elite

I never lucked into pulling an Elite from a pack though I ripped a lot of early 90s Donruss back in the day. But I recently turned to eBay to rectify that.


Fred McGriff won me over during his brief time in San Diego and I've been a big fan ever since. Not a big enough name to break the bank, so he was an easy choice to target. Looks great.


I ended up complementing the Crime Dog pick-up with HOFer Robbie Alomar. He went to Toronto in the blockbuster deal that sent McGriff to the Padres, as you probably already know. I like the look of this one a lot, too. Shipping cost was more than the winning bid.


They don't bother numbering cards out of this many any more, but back in the go-go baseball card days of the time, they were tough pulls out of the millions of base cards that got cranked out.


A nice pairing together. These were from 1993 Donruss. I'd love to expand my collection into snagging an Elite or two from 1991 and 1992 sometime.


Tried capturing a little "refraction action" to give a feel of the card in-hand, dancing in the light. It was kind of a big deal as one of the first "shiny cards" on the market. There might plenty of dazzling parallels out there these days, but still hard to beat a classic insert like this.

9 comments:

  1. I love those early Elite's. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. I never pulled one either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, a couple of classics indeed! Nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never pulled any as I wasn't collecting back then, but I have been wanting at least one of those at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen on in person. Was going to ask how shiny it was but you took care of that nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1993 was my entry into the hobby. A friend and I broke a whole case of Donruss. It netted ONE singular Elite, the Alomar. These were, and are nice cards. I still think about building the set but probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet cards. If I wasn't cutting back on spending, I'd target the McGriff for my Padres collection too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! The pseudo card shop that's fairly close to me has a couple of sealed (shrink wrapped and all) boxes of 1991 Donruss series 2 for $6 apiece that I've been toying with buying, just so I can chase an Elite. I was never fortunate enough to pull one way back when, and to my knowledge I still haven't ever seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete