Saturday, October 7, 2017

Card Show Already Again

I'm used to the local monthly card show being around the last or second to last Saturday of the month. But they've been creeping up the date the past couple months, and so today it was upon us again. I know it's blasphemous for me to say, with many of you guys out there without local card shows, but it kinda feels like it's been too soon since the last one. I mean, I still went, of course, but I definitely didn't feel like I was jonesing for it like I often do when it rolls around. (Maybe that's also partially because I recently busted a couple boxes... I usually like to spread out incoming new cards better.)

So I kept it reasonably tight, spending a couple hours digging in Bill's quarterboxes, and calling it a day with a phat stack of about 150 cards.


Here's my first look at 2017 Gold Label. I was disappointed but not surprised to find out Topps cheaped out again, same as the 2016 reboot of this product, using rainbow foilboard instead of the Chrome refractor stock of the original run. But flimsy or not, no way I'm passing up a #'d Lindor parallel for 25¢.


More Lindor. He came up big with a grand slam in that epic win over the Yankees yesterday.


Speaking of guys making noise in the playoffs, Jose Altuve has been incredible. I was very happy to throw these 3 cards on my stack, even though they're logoless. The framed card is #'d 03/99.


Rhys Hoskins made a lot of headlines in the last several weeks of the season, cranking out dinger after dinger since his August call-up. I was anxious to get a card of his into my collection. Hey, double your pleasure! The cheapest one on COMC right now is $4.25, so I was surprised to find these for a quarter each.


What?! Brontosaurus wasn't real? My childhood dinosaur books lied to me. This card isn't worth much, but I thought it was cute.


Hey, a serial-numbered Kris Bryant card for a quarter is a serial-numbered Kris Bryant card for a quarter.. even if it's numbered to 10,000.


Let's stop for today here. This was a pickup just for 1992 me. Back then a certified auto of Brien Taylor, 1st overall draft pick in 1991, would be something to lock up in the safe deposit box. Of course he got hurt and was perhaps the biggest bust ever. But still, it's kind of a thrill to own this card even now.

More stuff from this show to feature on the blog in the coming week. Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome looking Lindor cards! If you have not seen it yet, find the video of his grand slam from last night. It is awesome! I am wearing my Lindor tshirt today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. Cool Taylor. Nice pickup on the Hoskins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Brien Taylor. Such a huge name to pull back in the day.

    BTW, I hope none of your co-workers subscribe to your blog with an RSS reader. ;)

    JT, The Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the hype surrounding Taylor, maybe you should put Hoskins in the SDB. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Taylor is a great pick up! Love picking up cards for old versions of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. A Brien Taylor in a quarter bin? Nice find. After twenty-five years I'm still looking to add his 1992 Topps Gold autograph to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue Labels are gorgeous. I've been picking them up too. Those Indians MUST beat the Yankees. Anything less is unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete