Friday, August 24, 2018

1957 Topps Sandy Koufax

I haven't posted since Monday, which is a pretty long dry spell for me. I blame the heat (card room tends to get hot in the summertime), work (playing catch-up after missing a few days while on vacation earlier this month), and the fact that making gif cards has been taking up what little hobby time I've had to spend this week. But hey, looks like the 90 degree days are over for the year (knock on wood), and I'm now pretty well caught up at work, so I should be able to return to cranking out a post every day or every other day.

Just a one-card post for today, but it's a good one.


1957 Topps Sandy Koufax! It's just his 3rd card, after his 1955 rookie and 1956 second-year. This one is graded PSA 1.5, but like the 1964 Koufax I picked up a few days before, also graded PSA 1.5, it looks perfect to me. I'm considering this one as a gift to myself (though aren't they all?).. Had my annual review at work the other day and it went well and I got a nice little cost-of-living raise, so figured I'd celebrate by targeting a special card or two.


Sandy was still just a kid with a lot of promise at the time; it wasn't really until the 60s that he blossomed into a great.

The back has some tape residue in the bottom corners, and the front has a little light creasing, but still, I think it looks damn good for being graded so low. And again, I don't care much about the grade as long as it doesn't look like hell, but I appreciate the peace of mind that it's certified authentic.

Very happy to check this big name off my 1957 Topps setbuild. While I've still got a long way to go– this card brings me to exactly 53% complete– I've been knocking off HOFers here and there (plus another on the way), and feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this set.


Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. The image looks pretty clean otherwise - great card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the set and that card! Good luck knocking off the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Sandy! I'd love to sit down with someone from PSA and have him/her explain that 1.5 grade.

    ReplyDelete