Saturday, August 19, 2017

Total Eclipse of the Card (Show)

Bill, my "main guy" dealer at the monthly card show didn't make it to today's show. He's based in Salem, and I don't blame him for not wanting to drive up to Portland and back. The pending total solar eclipse on Monday is doing a number on central Oregon, with packed freeways and tapped-out gas stations thanks to folks coming from California and elsewhere trying to get a good look at the celestial event. I think this is maybe just the second time that I've been going to this show that Bill wasn't there. It's not unusual for me to spend an entire show just at his bins. So yeah, that threw a monkeywrench in my usually card show plan, and I ended up checking out some new dealers. But it all worked out and I found some great stuff. I think I made 3 or 4 different purchases. Today, I'll show off my score from the old vintage guy, who kindly let me have these 19 cards for an even $10.


I don't have many '54s in my collection. Grabbed a rough Yank and Cub.. both available for trade, if anybody needs them.


A couple Twins legends.


Red Sox Royalty. The Yaz is an oddball from 1984. These and the above Twins were in the quarter box.


Happy to find a couple semi-stars I needed for my 1965 Topps setbuild. I've been hitting it pretty hard lately and am starting to think the goal of finishing the set by the end of 2017 is within reach.


And landed a solid lot for my 1957 Topps setbuild. Creeping passed 15% complete there.

So yeah, not a bad haul for a Hamilton.
Many more card show pickups to follow in the coming days. Thanks for reading.


6 comments:

  1. Very topical! The literal video for Total Eclipse of the Heart is still my favorite of all time. Nice pickups at this show, too, Gavin--I'm liking the vintage you landed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just heard about the eclipse a few days ago and heard that Oregon was in the totality path. You guys are so lucky. I'm looking forward to leaving my staff meeting for a few minutes to see the eclipse myself Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less than 50 cents apiece...SCORE!

    ReplyDelete