Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Card Show Recaptualization

Here are some more cards I got at the show this past weekend. I've since mixed them together, but I believe they were culled from 3 different bin digs, with deals ranging from 5-for-$1 to 6-for-$5.


I like cheap Bowman parallels from recent years. Alex Gordon is the only guy here I collect, and the only unnumbered card of the six. The rest are trade bait. I should really be better about staying away from trade bait for teams I never seem to trade, such as the bottom row there.


Shiny Topps Chrome cards of dudes I collect. Pretty sure I already had that purple Mookie, but it's #/250 and I just couldn't pass it up at that sub-buck price.


Yankees. Anybody need that Eric Duncan auto? Zippy?


Braves. Who wants that Heyward?


Some numbered Topps parallels. I was pretty excited to see that Strasburg gold in a quarterbox. I bet back in 2011 that card sold for a decent chunk of change.


More trade bait if anyone wants these. Luis bat chip. Autos of some football guy named Ronald Martin and some baseball guy named Mitch Canham.


I pulled a terribly off-center copy of that minor league Frank Thomas card from a pack when I was a kid and it was a big deal to me. I'll hang onto the sentimental old copy, but couldn't resist upgrading to a respectably-centered specimen. Billy Hamilton and Yoenis Cespedes are fun guys to watch that I'm tempted to start collecting in earnest, but for now I'll just occasionally pick up parallels and inserts such as these when I find them cheap.

So all these cards pictured ran me comfortably under the price of a blaster.. not a bad haul, though nothing to really knock your socks off. Not pictured are a few cards already set aside for trader buddies. I've got more cards to show off from the trip, but they weren't from a purchase but rather a generous gift (Padrograph Rod striking again). I need to finish digging through the boxes and pull out some favorites to feature on the blog soon.

That's it for this post. See ya later.

12 comments:

  1. You should definitely collect Billy Hamilton. He's the man, even if he's not all that good IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOH! That Eric Duncan autograph was a top 5 need for me last year. I'd love a shot at it though. Duncan is back in SI this year as the team's hitting coach so I may have a cool use for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I'll put it aside for you. Yeah, the card definitely made me think of you, for a reason more than just being a Yankee, and now I realize that's the certified auto you had personalized last year!

      Delete
  3. So, your baseball guy Canham was actually a Padres 1st round (compensation) pick in the 2007 draft out of Oregon State, for whatever that's worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so I should care about him somewhat! haha.

      Delete
  4. If the Bird and/or Severino cards are up for grabs, I'd love a shot at them. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim. I'm tempted to hang onto them for now, but your interest has been noted!

      Delete
  5. I love watching Billy Hamilton, but man he needs to learn to hit the ball on the ground. His obp. is terrilble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember pulling the same Thomas from a pack back in the day. It was a big deal for me too.

    ReplyDelete