Saturday, January 18, 2014

Scribble Showcase: my best basketball card

I wanted to diversify my collection by-- pardon the terminology-- "scoring a sick hit" of the neglected 2 of the Big 4 team sports that us Americans/Canadians care about. I've got lots of nice baseball cards, and a handful of sweet football cards, but not much from basketball or hockey.

But now I can check off basketball thanks to this card:


Love it. Obviously, my disturbing attraction to "Christmas Cards" was a motivating factor in picking up this particular card. I think it helps round out my collection in general very nicely. It wasn't cheap, but I justify the expenditure as part of my late December/early January "Christmas/Birthday gift money" extended shopping spree.

The tight headshot caused me to assume this card was unlicensed at first. But nope! Flip it over and there's some trademarked Los Angeles Lakers intellectual property on full display.


Kareem Abdul Jabbar is in the Hall, where he belongs. He's definitely on the shortlist of greatest ever, right there with Jordan and the gang. While I never really followed basketball too closely, especially as a kid, I always knew and liked Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Heck, he was awesome in Airplane! And now I've got his autograph!

I also picked up an equivalent sick (again, sorry) hockey card, which I'll be showing off soon.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pickup. Cap sure has a beautiful signature (although... I guess he doesn't believe in signing his first name).

    ReplyDelete