Saturday, July 16, 2016

WHAT HAVE I DONE?! A discounted blaster of 2012 Goodwin Champions


The grocery store had a few discounted blasters today, and I kinda wanted something to rip. There were no discounted baseball blasters, though. The closest they had was 2012 Goodwin Champions.. featuring a few random baseball players in suits or playing golf. How wretched, right? But I was like, screw it, let's throw caution to the wind and grab this abomination of a sportscard product.


Here are some decent names. But the pictures are so creepy! Gah! Who thought this was a good idea? These are among the better looking cards.


Hey, I pulled a hit! Not a sick megamojo hit, but a hit nonetheless. Decent 2-colored swatch of a hockey guy named Ron Francis. Does anybody want to trade me for this???


Minis! That probably didn't warrant an exclamation point. Greg Maddux is a guy I collect, at least. It's apparently a photo of him playing wiffle ball?? The Larry Bird is also almost kinda cool.


One nice thing with a box of Goodwin Champions is that you can pull cards of ladies. Hello, ladies.


Ooooh, look, a redemption type thing! It's so faded I can't even read what it says. The big question: Does Upper Deck honor expired redemptions?? Panini usually does (yay!), Topps usually does not (boo!), but I'm not sure about UD. I guess I'll scratch it and give it a shot.. assuming I can read the code. **scratch scratch** Nope, it looks like faded hieroglyphics. I think I can make out the word "AUTOGRAPH" and the name "JOEY" in there. Joey Chestnut, maybe? Oh well, at least it wasn't Michael Jordan.. that'd have me crying.


As for the remainder of this stack of garbage, I guess I'll throw it in with the grand prize of my 800th post contest. But don't let that dissuade you from entering! I'm thinking I'll do a flat-rate priority box full of cards (assuming the winner is located in the US), hopefully leaning to the tastes of the winner, with a couple nice cards ($$) to crown the package. Also some other neat potential bonus stuff which I'll mention in posts this coming week. I'll also throw in "bonus entry" possibilities because those are fun.

In fact, for a bonus entry, be the first to comment below calling me by the name "Matilda" and also telling me about Ron Francis.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Matilda, Ron Francis was a hockey player who had a two color relic in Goodwin I'm 2012. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lazy ass.. can't even wikipedia up the guy? boo! Come on.. earn it!

      Delete
    2. Sorry I'm on vacation in Seattle. Being lazy. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Nice! 2 hits??? I bought endless blasters and never hit anything.

    Info on Upper Deck expired redemps. They don't work like Panini's
    http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/07/upper-decks-expired-redemption-raffle-explained/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matil (Zoolander), Ron Francis has two first names. Ron and Francis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. alright matilda, ron francis played for the hartford whalers before joining the penguins and winning a couple of stanley cups. the patch is probably from his time with the carolina hurricanes, which is what the whalers became in 1997. also, +1 for a reference to the crying jordan meme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't here quick enough to call you Matilda so I won't tell you about Ron Francis. And boy, the things I knew about 'ol Ronny boy. We go way back.

    Or. I never heard of him. It's a toss up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Francis relic! He's actually one of the more under-rated hockey players ever to lace up skates. Look up where he stands on the all-time points list and I think you'll be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... a relic and an auto from a blaster? That's definitely a hot box. I recently picked up a Chestnut auto for my SJSU PC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Matilda: Gotta love Ronnie Franchise(good nickname)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments, guys! I think I need to award the bonus contest entry to gcrl for the informative Ron Francis comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW - the expired redemption appears to be Jozy Altidore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call! Props on your mad CSI skills, Jeff! I should give you the scratched code to see if you can make it out.

      Delete
  11. Nice looking cards. I've always liked those sets but the price point definitely scares me off. I would have jumped on a reduced priced box too. Thanks for the post. Great post.

    ReplyDelete