Sunday, July 22, 2018

I just bought a 1956 Topps Hank Aaron for $1.75

Remember the beat-up '68 Tom Seaver I showed off a couple days ago? It wasn't the only basement-price classic vintage card I scored from the seller. Also won for $1.25 plus 50¢ additional shipping was a genuine, authentic 1956 Topps Hank Aaron! Nice! What's the catch? Well...


Ok, this might look a little off to you.

Maybe you recall how sometimes I print out "custom overlays" for autograph cards when I want to use a better photo than what the card company chose? Well, this is my first attempt making an overlay for a non-auto.

Here it is undressed:


Nasty bit of paper loss. Sure, the overlay idea is kinda silly, but regular readers know that kinda shit is right in my wheelhouse. I think it's a marked improvement!


The back also has some paper loss, but not as bad as the front. The worst part about the back was there was a big, honking glob of glue on the back of the case. I gotta assume a previous owner glued it into a display case or something? I was able to fix it up with several minutes prying it off with a knife, then cleaning it up with some Goo Gone.

Very cool addition to my Hank Aaron PC on the cheap.


I coincidentally also picked up a full set of the 2000 Topps Hank Aaron tribute reprint insert set from another seller around the same time (Same guy I got the 1964 Frank Robinson and 1957 Kaline and Larsen cards from.)


All 23 cards are here, though it's somewhat of a "frankenset" since among the standard paper cards are a few Chrome cards and one Chrome refractor (1976). These cards typically go for a buck or two each, so to score the whole set for under $3 plus combined shipping was a great deal, I thought.

So yeah, my collection of the Hammer has improved greatly this month, with all these plus the 1964 Aaron I showed off a week ago.

Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. Great idea, I mean, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the overlay! I like the new grade... it sure looks like perfection to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity knows no bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who needs a PSA 10, you turned it up and made it a DefGav 11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great solution! I just cringe at the pretentiousness of someone thinking it would be a good idea to get that card graded in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a card with character! The overlay is awesome!

    ReplyDelete