Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Kris Bryant 1989 Upper Deck

I think I'm starting to get the hang of custom card making. Here's my latest creation:


Here we've got Kris Bryant doing his best Ken Griffey Jr impression. His NLCS didn't go as well as Cubs fans would have liked, but he's just a kid and you gotta figure he'll be back playing in October many times before it's all said and done. I think the card came out really nice! You can't tell in the photos, but it's on glossy cardstock that really feels like it could have come from a pack of 1989 Upper Deck in some time-traveling alternate universe.


And yep, I don't half-ass my customs-- full backside! It looks a lot clearer in hand than in the photo. I don't have the capability to make holograms, but wanted my own unique "security mark" like Upper Deck, so I've included a glow-in-the-dark circle that I've initialed. I thought that was a pretty clever idea to deter unauthorized copies while giving it my own personal touch.

I'll admit I wanted to think up something with "commercial appeal" so that I could possibly sell a few to recoup some of the funds I've sunk into my newfound card-making sub-hobby (hey, different kinds of fancy paper and other necessary accoutrement ain't cheap). I figure there are already a bunch of jagoffs trying to make a buck on eBay selling customs, might as well give it a shot myself. Granted it would have been better had I put this card out during the height of Bryant-mania earlier in the season, though I think he's still pretty hot with collectors.

If you're interested in getting one of these cards for yourself (either buying or in trade for cards), drop me an email. Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Pretty sweet looking, but the back is what cinches it for me. Well done!
    I like the glow in the dark circle also. It's very you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the best custom jobs I've seen in a while! Thanks for briefly distracting me from the painful end that I am currently sitting through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a nice job you did there! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Gavin. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came across your blog doing a search for baseball card templates. I'm working on a set for my son's 9 yr old team and wondered if you'd be willing to share any templates. I'm a fan of the 89 Upper Deck card design along with some of the more recent Topps designs. I'm looking for templates that are decent (ie. Photoshop / Illustrator file types). Let me know if you can help me out. Thanks! (By the way, great blog and as a Cubs fan, the Bryant cards is awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't do this one template style (though that would have probably made more sense), rather basically just added onto the actual card. So sorry I can help, but best of luck to you!

      Delete
  6. Awesome card! Tried emailing you but no response, if you still have any I'd love to talk buying/trading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me as I would love this card! (I collect Griffey Jr and Bryant so this is just awesome to me!)

      Delete
  7. I would love to purchase a custom 89 upper deck Kris Bryant....please email me at jmcfee99@gmail.com with price and your paypal details. Thanks!

    -Joseph McFee

    ReplyDelete