Friday, July 17, 2015

George Brett auto!

George Brett is widely regarded as one of the greats. He doesn't have as many autographs on the market as his contemporaries, so they can often command somewhat of a premium.

eBay search results for autos:
George Brett 377
Robin Yount 551
Johnny Bench 741
Tony Gwynn 914
Wade Boggs 1,243
Stan Musial 1,806
Nolan Ryan 2,509

I had been casually wanting to pick up a Brett auto for a while, and last weekend I put in a Best Offer on one that got accepted for a couple blasters' worth. Sweet!


1997 DONRUSS SIGNIFICANT SIGNATURES GEORGE BRETT AUTOGRAPH #'d 0062/2000

It's on-card and fully licensed, a couple key selling points for me. The scan in the auction looked like crap, but I was banking on it just being a deceptively bad scan due to the fact it's a foil-heavy card. Happy to say that was indeed the case, and the card looks great in-hand. Very happy with it!


As far as "eBay 1/1" significance to the number 62, I wasn't able to come up with anything too cool except for the fact that the day I received this card (yesterday, 7/16/15)... George Brett's age was 62 years and 62 days old. Trippy! So that's nothing that'll raise the market value any, but just a cool little easter egg for me personally from the baseball card gods.

Would love to get him into my Hundred Card Club one day, but I'm only about a third of the way there. I guess he's never been a main PC guy of mine, but I've always appreciated his cards. He's got somewhat of a colorful history, what with the pine tar incident, the story of pooping his pants, the whispered rumors that he was a switch-hitter-wink-wink. But he's a fun guy to collect.. batting .3-freaking-90 in 1980. (Did you spot the error on the card back? They said he hit .390 in 1990.) An MVP award in 1980 (Again, the card erroneously states his MVP year was 1990) Three batting titles in three decades. World Championship in 1985. Knocked 3,154 lifetime hits. First-ballot Hall of Famer with 98.2% of the vote. Quite a career!

Now that I've got his auto, the key card in my crosshairs for my George Brett PC is his 1975 Topps rookie. I might have to throw in a few low bids soon and hope I get lucky on one.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

6 comments:

  1. You lucky dog. An autograph of Brett is on my list of things I'd like to get, but I think I want to get his rookie card first. Maybe one day I will just go to Kansas City and stand outside the Stadium waiting to meet him and get his autograph,but he has a bit of a temper at times, so maybe its safer to search ebay for that auto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome looking card! Congrats on the pick-up! I met him him at Spring Training one time several years back and he wasn't the nicest, but he was getting mobbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a busy design that is really works. It's a hell of a nice card. Good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful card and addition! And being a 90's fan I dig it that way as well. It's also always great to add an auto of someone like Brett. Congrats on your newest addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Love the Significant Signatures sets from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete