Thursday, July 16, 2015

Padres legend Will Ferrell

Landed one of my top wants yesterday thanks to a Twitter trade.

Yep, Will Ferrell's Padres card. I'm not chasing all 10 teams, but I did want to pick up the San Diego card in this insert set from '15 Archives. A guy on Twitter going for the set pulled this dupe and I was able to trade him the Angels Ferrell I pulled for it (still have the Giants available). He even threw in a bonus Shaq card. Thanks @CardCowboy!


I like that Ferrell retired as a Padre. They should have kept him on the team all year. He'd probably be right up there among the offensive team leaders this season. He's already tied the all-time team record of most times hitting for the cycle.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Ferrell Takes The Field premiering on HBO September 12.


Since getting limited TV service earlier this year after years of having "cut the cord" I still don't watch much (we don't get anything like ESPN, Comedy Central, or Cartoon Network, unfortunately), but HBO was included with the deal, so I watch a few a their shows. The only thing I make a point to catch "live" is Game of Thrones.. everything else I watch is on demand. John Oliver, Eastbound & Down (almost through it), Silicon Valley, Veep, oh and I finally just finished The Wire a few days ago.. that's a good show. Tried to get into True Detective a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to watching the second episode yet.

One thing I did watch on regular TV recently was the All-Star Game. Man, it reminded me that I really hate commercials. And Joe Buck. (Was it just me, or could you really sense the antisemitism in his voice when he'd say the name Keuchel? Sorry, bad joke. Kidding aside, Joe Buck is just awful.) Otherwise the game was fine.

I also signed up for mlb.tv back during their Father's Day sale. I've watched parts of a few games so far (mostly Padres and Dodgers Vin Scully), but I feel I should be watching more to get my money's worth. Probably once the pennant races start heating up I'll be motivated to catch more games. Bummer the Padres couldn't have stayed in contention. (They really should have brought back the brown; That's what jinxed them, I'm positive!)

This is kind of a boring, rambling post about my TV watching habits. Sorry, I should be bringing my A-game; it's Pull-Tab Awareness Week, after all. As far as Will's card up top, it did not come packaged with pull tabs, but blue tape was used, so we'll give Card Cowboy a pass. Even the blue tape left a sticky residue on the top-loader (I trashed it and replaced it with this green-bordered one I had lying around.. I think it really makes the card pop!).. so it just goes to show you that even blue tape isn't perfect 100% of the time.

Also arriving in the mail yesterday was a small Sportlots order, the contents of which we'll see another day. The seller put the 4 cards in a team bag, protected by Card Saver type things on either side, then put a piece of scotch tape to seal the team bag (no tabs! grr) instead of using the adhesive strip on the team bag. That was kind of lame, but nowhere near as bad as no-tab scotch tape over a top loader. So that guy also gets a pass this time, but could use improvement.

12 comments:

  1. I had no idea you had the Giants Ferrell. That's one f two that I have left to finish the set. Any chance you're up for another trade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ferrell is easily one of the most memorable players the Padres have had since Tony Gwynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome!!! I still want one of those Ferrell cards.

    And spread the word on this very special week on Twitter and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to start playing fantasy baseball and then you will be interested in all mlb games. Then you will get your moneys worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I'm scared to go down that rabbit hole.

      Delete
  5. That's my favorite 2015 San Diego Padres card! Can't wait for Sept. 12th to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna try and build the 2015 Archives base set (I doubt you were born yet when I put my last Topps set together, lol). I bought two blister boxes- lots of doubles. Out of 160 cards maybe about 15 weren't doubles. Gah.

    I got two Farrell cards, Giants & Reds (I will try to complete this sub-set). One auto: Brett Boone (booo). Got a rare 83t Seaver gold border remake: #23 of 50, which pretty much made my baseball card year. I'm not a fan of the limited ready made rare cards, but I have to say it was quite a thrill to get that card.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice pull with the Seaver! Well if you wanna trade, I've got lots of 2015 Archives base available. I wouldn't mind that Boone auto if you're looking to dump it (San Diego area guy/ former Padre).

      Delete