Saturday, March 17, 2018

Watching the Goonies

The Goonies is a top 5 favorite movie of mine. The original Star Wars trilogy, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and The Goonies.. that's my list. Closely followed by Ghostbusters, the Back to the Future trilogy, Flight of the Navigator, the Indiana Jones trilogy.. yeah, I guess I like fun 80s adventure flicks.

You might have to remind me next year, but I'm trying to start a tradition of watching The Goonies every St. Patrick's Day. Because why not. I sort of "live tweeted" this tonight, but let's get a blog post out of it, too.


Truffle Shuffle with a wallet card appearance.


I don't have a good reason for watching this on 3/17, but it's a very green movie in parts, for what that's worth.


The old Lou Gehrig card they find is 1973 Topps #472. In that condition, it'd probably be under a buck on COMC. But we get what they were going for. The prop master should have gone with a Goudey.

I didn't even notice it till this most recent viewing. But yeah, between being featured in both one of my favorite movies and my favorite TV show (The Simpsons "muttonchop Yaz"), it's no surprise 1973 Topps is my all-time favorite set.


Such an all-time crush on Kerri Lee Green in that movie. Included her in my "Pretty Girls" custom set a couple years back.


We visited the actual Goonies house in Astoria, Oregon back in 2013, the day I proposed. Good times!


My favorite display piece in my card collection is this Goonies picture adorned with 4 certified autos. I haven't been able to add any more Goonies autos in the years since putting this together, but maybe someday.


Not sure if it counts, but I've added a handful of Andre the Giant cards to my collection, at least. Here he is at the end of the classic "Goonies R Good Enough" music video (Part 2 of it, specifically).


Anyways. Great movie. Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. i watched it tonight also, I love Sloth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never seen The Goonies, which is embarrassing for an 80's kid like myself (especially since a recent episode of Superstore mentioned this very thing. Never saw the Karate Kid, either. But I watched Flight of the Navigator a dozen times when I was a young lad.

    Your Goonies display piece is impressive. And I hope you bring back the "Pretty Girls" series for 2018. I've got at least half a dozen subjects in mind... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No love for The Last Starfighter? From your list of movies, that seems like one that would fit right in. Or The Rocketeer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Last Starfighter well enough, just never watched it that much. The Rocketeer came out a little too late to be in my wheelhouse; I think I watched it once in my 20s and that's it.

      Delete
  4. That Goonies display is sweet! Funny that you posted that video. I'm doing a project trying to collect autographs of all the wrestlers from that video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a John Matuszak PC as well? NFL star who played Sloth

    ReplyDelete